Guild Wars 2 PVP Video: D/D Elementalist in WvW [Vol 1]

This is footage of my D/D Elementalist soloing in Tier 1 WvW (Blackgate vs Jade Quarry vs Sea of Sorrows).

My spec is based off daphoenix’s most excellent guide on “Tanky DPS” Dagger/Dagger Ele:

Here is the gear I used in the video (stats mix in parenthesis):

• 2 x Exotic Invader’s Dagger, with Superior Sigil of Battle and Superior Sigil of Corruption (PVT)
  • 4 x Exotic Orr Karma armor (PVT), with 2 x Superior Rune of the Water and 2 x Major Rune of the Water
  • 2 x Exotic Ascalonian armor (PVT), with 2 x Superior Rune of the Monk
  • Rare Soldier’s Spineguard (PVT) with Exquisite Sapphire Jewel
  • Exotic Ancient Karka Shell (mixed stats) with Exquisite Sapphire Jewel
  • Exotic Sapphire Orichalcum (HPT) Amulet, Earring, and Rings, with Exquisite Sapphire Jewels

Here is a link to Dulfy’s notes from the recent ArenaNet Dev livestream, in which the upcoming nerf for AOE was discussed:

Given the frequency of attunement swaps for the spec, I re-worked my keybindings. Here is the current setup:

GW2 Keybinds (v1.2)

Let me know your questions and feedback.

Posted in Elementalist, Guild Wars 2, PVP, Video
56 comments on “Guild Wars 2 PVP Video: D/D Elementalist in WvW [Vol 1]
  1. Alcaster says:

I heard you mention PVT gear in the vid, and wasnt sure if you read Dulfy’s section on Orr gear. For any cloth wearer you can get all pieces except the pants as PVT gear in Orr. Different vendors sell differing slots, so you have to mix and match. In the end you will end up with almost a full set of gear at 42k Karma per piece. Not a bad deal as you likely have a good bit of karma saved up, and you can complete the monthly to buy 3 pieces.
    Great video!

Ele has been my main since day one minus a couple weeks of thief, and Dapheonix’s build really helped me get a grasp on the complex nature of the profession.

Alcaster :

Great video!

Yes, I bought 4 x Orr Karma PVT pieces. I farmed 2 x AC for the runes bonus.

Alcaster :

Many players thought that Ele was a weak profession and that D/D’s too limited.

daphoenix took a fresh look at the mechanics, and took a squishy class and built it to have some staying power. It’s a great spec.

• Alcaster says:

after getting 80 most players seem to think ele was very weak. I almost fell into that group, but I kept coming back to ele for the sheer versatile nature of the class. D/D does tend to out shine the other weapon combos in solo/spvp situations, and I am afraid they will nerf AoEs down to the point it could be our only viable spec soon.

Alcaster :

Glad you stuck with it. I was one of the people who was skeptical about D/D given the low HP and low armor of the class. But with the proper gear it’s not too squishy.

Alcaster :

I was a bit surprised that ArenaNet mentioned the incoming nerf to AOE on the livestream without having more specific details.

It’s the kind of change that makes players very nervous if it’s not clear what the change will look like.

2. Igor Muller says:

Hey, very nice video! Thank you for sharing :) I stopped playing GW2, unfortunately, after i tried WvWvW – it was crazy fun but i quickly realize that i have to level and gear to barely enjoy it, and i really have no idea how to do that with PvP mostly (or strictly). Could you give me some advice or point to where i can get it?

Igor Muller :

I think most classes are enjoyable in WvW once they get to 30 and you have your elite skill unlocked.

At 80 the gear does matter though.

Dulfy wrote a nice guide in endgame gearing:

My Ele’s gear came from multiple sources:
      – 4 pieces of armor from Orr karma vendors (42k each)
      – 2 pieces of armor from AC (Ascalonian Catacombs)
      – both daggers from WvW badges
      – BoE trinkets
      – Karka event

• Igor Muller says:

Thank you thats just all i need to try GW2 again :) My problem was that i tried to actively play WvWvW as soon as i hit 20 and it seems it is really too low. Time to some grinding. And, Ed, i’ve been following you for over 2 years now i think, your videos and guides are really special. I do realize that it is not that easy (if possible at all) make a decent living out of game blogging like this, but please – at least keep it at your very special hobby level. I love what you do, and i really miss your updates lately. Thank you, cheers.

Igor Muller :

Keep in mind too that PVT gear isn’t widely available during the leveling process, and by default Ele is quite squishy.

Igor Muller :

Thanks for the encouragement Igor, I appreciate it!

• Mooftak says:

I second what he said. Love your stuff, been following you since you started on The Republic. Any new BuildCast eps coming up or is BC shelved for now?

• Mooftak says:

Gotta say, even though my elementalist is only level 7, I’m having a ton of fun. Recently unlocked earth atunement and I’m basically living the dream. Thanks for this post and the links, I think I’ve found a main finally.

3. I run an almost similar build, but I use speed boon when in air instead of zephyrs.
    Also I use full Clerics set. 14.6khp *shudder* but it does me well more often then not ;)
    I am dreading what Anet do to us again this patch…

Fish Bait (@FishBaitism) :

Well, you have 100% swiftness uptime with this build, so other speed traits aren’t worth taking.

Fish Bait (@FishBaitism) :

I am dreading what Anet do to us again this patch…

Someday I may try getting a set of Cleric’s armor to compare. I just like having some extra HP headroom to work with.

4. jericho says:

I am wondering about the rune selection here. It would seem the boons duration% runes wouldn’t be the best after the change to Aura’s and the fact they are no longer considered boons.

jericho :

I use daphoenix’s recommendation, which provides +40% boon duration:
      2 x Superior Runes of the Monk
      2 x Superior Runes of Water
      2 x Major Runes of Water

It’s totally worth it, as you get 30% boon duration from 30 in Arcane, for +70% boon duration total.

This helps stack as many different types of boons as possible.

5. Alcaster says:

jericho :

They are likely still as good as before; simply using them to keep up might stacks and fury. Being able to maintain 40% crit even with such a tanky build is nothing short of…damaging. Regen and any other buffs you get are affected as well. Auras being affected was just a nice bonus

Alcaster :

Exactly.

Alcaster :

I have a base 10% crit chance, so 30% with fury boon.

Crits in this build aren’t that big, given the 1.6x multiplier.

• Dirk Pitt says:

That is only thing I questioning in this build, isn’t better to get the Valkyrie Amulet (More Power, less Healing + 15 Crit Damage) and Rune of Rage (More Fury duration, %15 more crit damage)…..

I mean swiftness, Regeneration, Protection, Might up-time are already so high, isn’t better to for crit damage, only think I don’t like is loosing the healing from Cleric Amulet but we have already 30 pts in Water + still some healing from Valkyrie and at the end of they we are no healer just a tanky DPS….

Dirk Pitt :

Stacking Crit Damage doesn’t make sense unless you also invest in Precision to get to a decent crit rate IMO.

Since I got the +40% boon duration from runes, I find it much easier to roll multiple stacks of different boons.

Some people have posted on the Ele forums that they run the same trait points but with more DPS-oriented gear.

• Dirk Pitt says:

With Valkyrie and Rune of Rage, I am having %40 crit with %40 crit damage and running around with perma fury with constant 9 stacks of Might in a tanky build, do I really need more precision?

6. Alcaster says:

taugrim :

Alcaster :

Exactly.

Alcaster :

I have a base 10% crit chance, so 30% with fury boon.
    Crits in this build aren’t that big, given the 1.6x multiplier.

True.
    25 in water every buff gives 2% more damage, so I really favor the longer buffs. Then any extra dmg from crits is bonus. I think I use zerker jewels in my accessories, and zerker daggers weapons to give me a bit more crit dmg.

7. gameldar says:

That looks lots of fun – I love the high mobility of it. I enjoy the highly mobile classes – my thief is like that but I find with lag I have trouble landing backstabs (with the positional bonus) in PvP (no problems with PvE, but people tend to not just wander back to their spawn point when you go into stealth).

Looking at the game play in general – is there a lot of those small skirmishes in WvW? I’ve not really found that in the little WvW I’ve done (and I’ve only done it at low level so it’s not quite the same). I actually find sPvP too small for my liking – I like the bigger feel that you get in WoWs BGs (10-15 players a side, I enjoy AV/IoC but I tend to seek out those smaller group tasks than stick with the zerg) where you’re more of a crowd but individual contributions/strategy do matter. I wonder if that feel is more attainable in WvW?

gameldar :

You can find skirmishes if you go looking for them, esp on areas of the map where there is some foot traffic but in between objective points.

8. Lasci says:

Ever try running QASFG for your weapon skills? I found I was using them too often to bind them to 12345. I’ve been using your general movement bindings since SWTOR came out (used to be an ESDF person with D bound to back pedaling until I caught your guide and fine-tune my movement to EWR) and I find QASFG more comfortable for the more frequently used abilities. I wish there was a way to customize the UI based on class, because moving the utility skills closer to the movement keys almost feels essential for someone like the elementalist, but utterly pointless for other classes.

Anyway, good to see you’re enjoying your GW2 experience. Looking forward to more on the Mesmer front.

• Lasci says:

Moving the profession skills, I mean to say; they need to be closer to the movement keys for the elementalist, not the utility ones.

Lasci :

I haven’t tried QASFG, but if it works for you, that’s all that matters.

I leave my middle 3 fingers resting over WER in combat so accessing 1-5 is pretty comfortable.

Lasci :

I had to swap the locations of my profession abilities (formerly ZXCV but now ASFG) and utility/elite skills (formerly ASFG now ZXCV) because how frequently I attunement swap.

9. MadSpin says:

Taugrim…TheEle™! I love it, nice vid. I feel the same way about Armor of Earth vs Cleansing Fire. It’s just really nice to have stability on demand. Remember that you can also finish and revive (among other things) while in Mist Form as well.

Far as attunement swapping mid channeling, I love the Scepter’s Air 2 & 3 to have blind and spike on demand as well as Earth 2’s Hurl. Water’s 4 Frost Aura is also nice to pop to keep em chilled in the AoE of a Churning Earth cast.

gg peace!

– Melanin

MadSpin :

Yea, Mist Form has such utility.

MadSpin :

Far as attunement swapping mid channeling, I love the Scepter’s Air 2 & 3 to have blind and spike on demand as well as Earth 2′s Hurl. Water’s 4 Frost Aura is also nice to pop to keep em chilled in the AoE of a Churning Earth cast.

I haven’t tried Sceptre outside of PVE dungeons on live. Sceptre Fire 2 is amazing if you are with friendlies who root or stun.

Interesting idea re: Water 4’s chill for Earth 5. I usually follow Fire with Earth and not Water then Earth, but then again the “rotation” goes out the window based on the situation, so I’ll have to keep that in mind.

• MadSpin says:

Yea, Scepter’s Fire 2 you have a 50/50 chance to hit a target when followed up immediately after the Air 5 Updraft. While backfipping in Updraft you can swap to Fire (in mid-backflip) and immediately cast Fire 2 Dragon’s Tooth. I follow it up with a Fire 3, Phoenix and try to “sandwich” the 2 spells onto the enemy while running towards them. What’s nice is It forces an evade otherwise it’s a guarantee’d hit.

The same DragonsToothPhoenixSamich™ works nicely against downstate foes especially when people are trying to revive them. If you can learn the timing and setups, it’s pretty devastating. The condition removal and vigor from Phoenix is a nice bonus too.

I left a link to an earlier vid as my “website” for the post, you can check out what I mean bout the Updraft to Dragon’s Tooth combo in that.

peace!

– Melanin

MadSpin :

That’s nice.

D/D doesn’t have anything except for Earth 4/5 to disrupt reviving or hit the downed player and reviver hard.

10. kaelzikke says:

Greetings, big fan here! ^^ as a user of elementalist i can say i feel happy to know that now you are using one as well, even more now that i checked your build and noticed its pretty much the same as mine with little or no differences here and there(have had this build for a long time even before elems were considered op in pvp/wvw hehe) makes me feel sure now, i always had my doubts with my build for pvp since the main difference is that you play it well balanced with a bit of tankey, mine is aimed for healing-supporting with a lot of survival as it comes from the traits and skills, using gears with Healing-Power-Toughness and it has worked for me pretty well (since i mostly am at dungeons slaying bosses and so), it only had one down side and that is why i am leaving a comment to you ed, im not really a guide reading person but when it comes to you well, im always checking hehe, the downside was, as a supportive character 1v1 came pretty rough, dealing barely decent damage with high amounts of toughness but no vitality made me burst-able, i liked the way it worked cuz in pve it does wonders but now im most of the time alone (guildies left) i was looking for a nice build and you posted it here, yay! and all i have to do is change some stats from the gear and im all set :P thanks for that, btw im not sure if ive seen you talk about it or something, but there are way many people who still dont know how COMBOS work, it would be real nice if you some day made some sort of guide to them, since as a D/D elem you can grant (if well timed including your party members) give or take 18 might stacks, reaaal useful, ok im stopping this wall of text here, just wanted to say thanks for all you do it has really helped my gaming in all over the years ive read your guides, regards :) hopefully we will find each other at WvW one day… hopefully!

kaelzikke :

daphoenix really helped to make this spec popular with his guides and videos. It’s a well-designed spec.

kaelzikke :

HPT works well in PVE, but as you said for PVP it leaves you more susceptible to getting burst.

kaelzikke :

Next Ele video I make I’ll talk more about the combo fields. It’s sweet stacking to 17+ might.

11. TheWarrior says:

nice vid. altho i hate dagger elementalist when i fight them on my warrior. seems to me that it is the moste powerfull class 1v1, at least when u fight someone who knows how to play the class.

My q is how would you approach a elly on your warrior?
    And do u think it’s the most powerful class for 1v1 now that you play one?

TheWarrior :

D/D Ele along with Thief has the best options to re-set a fight / escape. That’s what makes them so tough.

TheWarrior :

My q is how would you approach a elly on your warrior?

Spec for roots and stuns. If you can control them, you can kill them. Most Ele’s do not take Armor of Earth like I do, and once their cantrips are burned their tactical options are much more limited.

12. Yamirashi says:

Glad to see this. D/D ele’s have become very popular in WvW but to be honest most of them are TERRIBLE. I’ve been following your stuff since Iron Fist in SWTOR and I’ll be honest, this looks like some of your most skilled game play I’ve seen. Very impressed with how you’re using this spec and what you’re able to accomplish with it. Kudos to you Mr. Park. I know its not “your spec” but you’re using it better than anyone else I’ve seen.

Almost make me want to give my ele a shot, but I fear looking at this, that if I ever got the reflexes and muscle memory down to play it well I would be terrible anywhere else. Just like my thief’s 3rd dodge makes me suck on any other class for a few days whenever I switch back.

Yamirashi :

D/D Ele is a finesse build that requires more micromanagement relative to other classes.

Warrior by comparison feels much slower when I play it.

Part of the problem is that it has a fairly high skill cap, so great players such as daphoenix make it look incredibly strong.

13. Fel says:

Pretty much after seeing dapheonix’s videos running D/D ele in wvw, and after picking my jaw up off the floor, I decided to level my Ele to 80 and spec him out as well. It’s a fun spec and has much more complexity than most classes due to the fast attunement swapping.

And it’s a thief killer! :)

Fel :

Yea the spec plays really fast. I love the fast attunement swapping, it’s non-stop stance-dancing.

14. TheWarrior says:

taugrim :

TheWarrior :

TheWarrior :
    My q is how would you approach a elly on your warrior?

ty for the answers. altho i dont think the thief is as good class, it’s more predictable and you can hit them in stealth. I can see how thiefs are good in spvp, but in wvw i think they are quite bad, daggerstorm and done…

15. Aaron says:

Made the move to BG a couple weeks ago. I’ve seen you out and about on your Warrior but have yet to see the Ele in live action. I play Aedelas (Guardian) and tend to roam around solo or with a couple of guys from the guild REV that I joined. I’ve only toyed around with sPvP as I prefer RvR/WvW style PvP over eSports being a DAoC/WAR vet. Anyways… if you see me out there running around pretending I know what I’m doing, shoot me a wave. :D

Aaron :

Made the move to BG a couple weeks ago…I play Aedelas (Guardian) and tend to roam around solo or with a couple of guys from the guild REV that I joined. Anyways… if you see me out there running around pretending I know what I’m doing, shoot me a wave. :D

If you see me out in WvW please say hello.

What guild is REV?

• Aaron says:

Revel. One of our members, ChrisDawnheart, has a channel on Youtube that include a non-standard Guardian build guide (meaning no AH). And I’ve said hello a couple times but I imagine you get tons of that, so I wasn’t hurt. Much. My therapist says I’ll be okay with time. *sniff* :P

16. DasdeThwar says:

Taugrim, Ive followed you for years now through all the games. Got one question about your D/D Ele though. If the AoE nerf is as bad as everyone thinks its going to be, what are you going to switch your build to? Keep up the great work!

DasdeThwar :

We’ll have to wait and see.

Staff and Dagger/Dagger have AOE components for 18 of their 20 abilities, and obviously D/D is a limited range spec, so any changes to AOE will need to be made carefully.

17. Freddo says:

Awsome vid! After I watched it I started leveling my elementalist and it’s so much fun! Thanks Taugrim! Keep it up, looking forward to part 2.

I wonder if there’s a viable pvp spec built around conjured weapons… any thoughts on that?

Freddo :

I haven’t tried the conjured weapons, but I don’t like the mechanic of replacing the main tool bar, as the Dagger / Dagger skills are really good and the spec I play benefits from attunement swaps to keep the boons rolling.

• Freddo says:

I kinda felt that way with warriors and banners but the difference is that i don’t have to pick it up, that bugged me, conjured weapons spawns on a location and in the elementalists hands, if the tooltip doesn’t lie. I’ll have to give it a shot. Another downside might be being melee with a light armor class.

18. derSchranzer says:

hey, nice build and I will definately try that out but I don’t understand das sigil of battle! with this sigil you gain might stacks when you swap to that weapon but with an elementalist you can’t swap weapons, so does this sigil even have any effect? (maybe I just overheard the reason in the video)

• DrexRex says:

im sitting here thinking the same thing

derSchranzer :

Sigil of Battle procs for Elementalist when you switch attunements.

19. Summer Raine says:

Hi taugrim! I love your videos and guides! Thank you so much for taking the time to put them together! What do you think of the Ascended amulet Syzygy in place of the Exotic Sapphire Orichalcum (HPT) Amulet? I had already purchased Syzygy prior to going with your build. If it wouldn’t mesh well with the build, I will work on getting the Exotic Sapphire Orichalcum (HPT) Amulet if you feel it is best.

I would probably go for Knight’s stats or Cleric’s on amulet, depending whether you want more DPS or healing.

20. Summer Raine says:

Thanks for the reply! I’ll use what you have in your build. I’m not much of a puzzle solver and putting together a build is pretty much the same to me, haha. I’m not quite there with all the armor pieces; I still need to get to Orr. But, what I’ve gotten together so far is SO MUCH FUN!!!! I can’t wait to get it all together and really give em hell in WvW.

Thanks again for your reply and for sharing your expertise!

p.s. I also use your keyboard set-up and it’s amazing how it’s changed my gameplay for the better!

Summer

21. Justin says:

Hey Taugrim! Great guide! I was looking at your keybindings and I’m confused as to where you assign the finish/revive as I couldn’t find it with the rest of the keybindings?