World of Tanks Video: KV-1

My first video for the KV-1, the excellent tier 5 Soviet heavy tank, in a tier 6 battle in World of Tanks (WoT). The KV-1 is a popular heavy tank because it’s a solid all-around performer, and it is the parent to the well-regarded KV-1S and T-150 tank lines.

Tank specs and statistics:

• Crew level: 92% training level for the Driver, Loader, and Radio Operator, 100% for the Commander and Gunner
  • Crew skills: Jack of All Trades, 1 x Repair
  • Gun: 85 mm F-30
  • Equipment: Ventilation, Tank Gun Rammer, and Gun Laying Drive
  • Premium account
  • No “gold” (premium) ammo
  • No consumables. I should have been using them, as they pay for themselves and are invaluable for managing bad situations

Let me know your questions and feedback.

Taugrim's WoT Stats

Play WoT for FREE: http://play.any.tv/SHFUK

Posted in Heavy Tank, PVP, Video, World of Tanks
8 comments on “World of Tanks Video: KV-1
  1. FrankyMcShanky says:

Nice. I’m glad to see you’re still enjoying the game. I never played the KV-1, I stuck more towards mediums, so I can’t comment much on it.

The KV-1S that comes next is a prime example of a tank that needs good accuracy. I think the top gun has about a 14 second reload. Well, maybe not 14 seconds but it’s a very a long reload with very high alpha. That being said I still don’t think accuracy is a benchmark worth considering at all. Damage per game will tell the same story a whole lot more clearly. If you only fire one shot a game and hit once you’re rocking 100% but maybe did 500dmg. Also, richochets, bounces, and 0 damage penetrating hits still counts as hits. Get that DPG up any way you can.

Winrate in my opinion is far and away the most important metric for determining skill. It’s the only thing that measure’s your ability to read the map and do what needs to be done to complete the objective.. Even so winrate can still be padded by being carried in platoons which is where things like WN7 and DPG comes into play.

You said that you’re going to stop at tier 6 or 8 but I think you’re going to get sucked in and go all the way.

It’s humbling to see your stats skyrocket with so few battles. One of the big draws for this game to me is how challenging it is for me to do well. You don’t seem to have the same problem.

I was platooning with my buddy Jag123 http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/jacg123 who’s considered one of the best light tank drivers on the server and he said “Yeah, there are guys at such a high level of skill who have their 3k damage a game in all thier tier 10’s doing everything they can to push those stats as far as they can.” It reminded me of you telling Gary Gannon how having statistical ladders, not gear grinds, was the way to go for competitive gaming. You’re absolutly right. Stats have driven me more in this game than SWTOR’s Warlord gear ever did.

I hope you try out some real mediums tanks soon. They’re for real manly men only. If by manly you mean for guys who like to shoot bigger stronger tanks in the sides before running away in terror.

Seriously though, mediums tend to have superior raw damage per minute than heavies which is freakin fun if you can wield it effectivly.

I’m eagery awaiting your next video.

The KV-1S has a significant learning curve, for the reasons you stated above.

And it’s a 16 second reload time!

I didn’t think accuracy (hit ratio) was extremely important until I started playing the KV-1S and T-150, with their 16 and 10.2 reload times respectively. Missing a shot can be incredibly harmful. Of course, as you said a shot might now pen – maybe you aimed at or hit a thickly-armored or angled section of your opponent.

Agreed.

When I read the WoT forums and thread starters try to downplay WR, they’re usually players who have south of a 50% WR, i.e. they’re average or below average.

You can certainly pad WR with premades. I estimate that 75% of my battles are solo queue, due to when I play and sometimes just wanting to chill on my own. It’s a fun game to group with other people though, given how tactical the fighting is and the importance of real-time communication.

I’m still doubtful of that :D

I’m still saving up credits for my first Tier 7 tank, and I have over 250 battles played on my Tier 6 tanks. Even with a Premium account, I’m seeing the increased slope of the grinding curve.

Dude, this game has not been easy for me. I find this game tremendously challenging :)

There are nights when I make too many impactful mistakes and/or get paired with reckless friendlies.

The other night was particularly rough, I was many games under .500 for the night, but I gutted it out and finished 1 game over .500 (24 wins, 23 losses):

Of course, there are days like yesterday when things go unusually well, such as these 3 battles where I was over 1900 WN7:

The footage from 1 of those 3 battles is what I’m going to feature for my T-150, since there are so many good illustrative points to be taken from it.

Yep.

Last Fall one of the things I told people was that Guild Wars 2 was lacking in endgame horizontal progression, in terms of leaderboards, stats, etc. I think my point didn’t land or make sense to a lot of people, based on the responses back. You don’t need gear grinds, because other rewards such as measurable performance / achievements are intrinsically motivating, just as they are IRL. People think gear grinds first because that’s what they have experienced.

GW2 went live without sufficient horizontal endgame progression – no leaderboards, no ladders (they had a ladder they maintained manually LOL), no stats, no publicly available or visible achievements, like WoW Armory.

What ArenaNet ended up doing to appease the progression crowd – and it was a huge mistake IMO and went against all the expectations they had set prior to launch – was to introduce the Ascended tier of gear. That was a freaking terrible decision, and it’s one reason why long-term I’m not as invested in GW2. I don’t want to be forced to grind out multiple gear sets for each build for each class I’m playing. It’s tedious.

Stats / ladders / leaderboards are fantastically sticky progression.

We obsess over Lebron James’s magical 2012-2013 MVP season in terms of his ridiculous averages for Points, Field Goal %, Assists, and Rebounds. This happens in every sport, and it’s only logical that that concept would carry over to games as well. It’s why Mythic’s innovation of Achievements has become such a core concept in games. Players want a measuring stick to understand and show how they’re progressing.

For anyone who plays fantasy sports online, you know this to be the case. Even in fantasy football leagues where there is no real money involved, there are bragging rights at stake, and people get hyper-competitive.

LMAO.

You’re hilarious :)

Yea, medium tanks have the advantage of mobility and getting to spots to be able to hit targets.

I love my T-150, but I’m often missing opportunities to engage because I can’t “get there” in time.

2. Scouto says:

I’m very tempted to give this game a try, how easy is it to get the hang on if you’ve never tried games like this and have no knowledge of tanks whatsoever? (loving the vids so far tho!)

I highly recommend giving WoT a shot.

It’s an extremely well-designed and polished game, for those of us looking for competitive PVP and meaningfully tactical teamplay.

3. shushii says:

Hi I started playing this game as well after I saw one of your tutorials. I played with some german tanks, but im not really happy with them. Why did you switch to russian tanks and what tanks/countrys would you suggest for beginners?

I played with some german tanks, but im not really happy with them.

Honestly, as a new player, until you are able to afford full 75% training level crews, fully research your tank, and afford consumables and mounted equipment, it’s tough sledding.

That on top of simply getting through the learning curve. This is a game that you can play immediately but IMO takes hundreds of battles to get the core mechanics down, and with each new tier of tank you have to learn your tanks and learn about the others that you will face.

I strongly recommend reading through the battle mechanics on the WoT Wiki:

Two questions in there.

Let me start with the second one, and I’ll give you my standard disclaimer: what I like / prefer may not work for you. So take what I say with a grain of salt, and the best way to determine which shoe fits is to try a lot of them on.

For beginners, I’d recommend playing medium tanks, tank destroyers, and when you get to Tier 5 or so, heavy tanks. Light tanks are typically scouts, which requires knowledge of maps, spotting mechanics, and how/when to flank. Arties are unlike everything else. Once you get the core game mechanics down, play anything you like.

As far as Russian tanks, I didn’t necessarily plan to play them. I ran the British line up to the Matilda, a Tier 4 medium tank. I played the Matilda long enough to unlock the Churchill 1, a Tier 5 heavy tank.

I went ahead and played the Churchill 1, did solidly for my first 100 battles (winning 53), then regressed over time and became increasingly frustrated with the tank, even after acquiring the top gun, the excelllent 75mm Hickers HV.

What’s the issue with the Churchill 1? I could deal with the slow speed, but that combined with a couple other factors made the tank aggravating for me. The Churchill 1 has very exposed tracks, which means you get immobilized often. I could deal with that too. What I found most annoying was the poor gun depression, which is how low you can aim your gun.

The poor gun depression would become a factor whenever I needed to crest a low rise/hill or fire at a tank at a lower elevation. An opposing tank would typically have better gun depression, so they’d get a shot on me before my gun could even aim at the enemy. The slow speed meant it would take time to get over the crest/hill and be able to aim. It felt awkward and limiting.

This is not to say the Churchill 1 is a bad tank. You just have to work with what you have: beefy armor and an excellent gun.

The Soviet heavy tanks are well-regarded, and there are two lines with different playstyles: mobile heavy-hitter or beefy tank.

The American tanks, especially starting at Tier 7 with the T29, are very capable, but they sacrifice hull armor for mobility and are therefore less forgiving to newer players. The turrets tend to have good armor, so they work great in a hull-down capacity.

I’m toying with either trying the German heavy tank lines (great ranged capability) or American, but I want to unlock and play the KV-3 Tier 7 Soviet heavy tank first.

Hope this helps.

4. James says:

Hi Taugrim, James here (played Knight Online with you a long time ago), firstly, good to see your life is going well; all that work you seem to have on your plate must mean good things! Secondly, it’s not about World of Tanks – I haven’t played, although it looks tempting – but I was wondering what your thoughts are about the new Free to Play model Rift is introducing?

I’ve been really busy this year, but thankfully things have settled down a bit, so I have more time to think creatively at work and I’m learning.

Short answer: I haven’t read up on RIFT’s F2P model, so I can’t provide an informed opinion.

Trion is adopting F2P for RIFT because the market has shifted there in recent years. The vast majority of games can’t sustainably acquire and retain players with a sub-based model. There are too many F2P (or B2P) games where the customer can have an enjoyable experience without having to pay for it at all or after the initial purchase price.

If you haven’t read Massively’s interview with Scott Hartsman, the former Trion Exec Producer for RIFT and other titles, it’s definitely worth a read: