This guide discusses “weak spots” in World of Tanks (WoT).
Weak spots are specific areas of a tank that can be penetrated more easily than other areas where the armor is thicker and/or sloped.
Here is a list of common weak spots across tanks:
- The cupola, which is the hatch on top of the turret
- View (range) ports
- Machine gun ports
- Lower front glacis, especially on German tanks
- Hatches elsewhere on the vehicle
For almost every tank in the game, the rear and side armor of the hull (body) and turret tend to be weaker than the front armor, which is why flanking is so critical in World of Tanks.
In general, you want to avoid targeting the following areas of an enemy tank:
- The mantlet, which is the heavily armored section where the gun attaches to the turret
- Areas which are heavily sloped or angled relative to you
The following video provides illustrative footage of penetrating tanks in their weak spots:
Aside from consistently hitting enemy tanks in their weak spots, make sure to protect your tank’s weak spots via proper angling and leveraging physical cover. The following video provides a more advanced look at weak spot targeting and protection with footage from an “Ace Tanker” Mastery battle for the IS-4:
Here are recommended resources for understanding weak spots and related mechanics:
- WoT Guru provides dozens of tank-specific weak spots guides, with color-coded diagrams of each tank from different angles. Sadurkar09 wrote a detailed listing of weak spots for most upper-tier tanks on WoTLabs
- Angling armor can protect weak spots by hiding them or increasing the effective armor and chance to ricochet incoming rounds, as discussed in my guide on angling
- If you’re an Android user, the superb World of Tanks Knowledge Base app allows you to select any tank in the game and view it’s model in 3D with armor penetration shown as a range of colors based on your tank’s gun and ammo. It doesn’t look like there is a version of this app for iOS users yet :( but ask the app developer to release one. Here’s a screenshot of the Armor piercer:
You see my current and historical statistics for WoT here: