As I mentioned in an earlier post, I’ve chosen Assassin to play as my main character in Aion. I haven’t decided which server and faction to roll.
Here’s why this decision matters to me:
- I don’t have the time or desire to level multiple characters on multiple servers. The switching cost is too high
- I want to play on a server with a strong, mature community. For the last 2 MMOs I played, LOTRO and WAR, I played on RP servers, Landroval and Phoenix Throne (PT) respectively, and the experience on those servers was much better compared to non-RP servers
Here are the options I am looking at:
- roll Asmodian (Asmo) on Lumiel
- roll Elyos on Zikel
- roll Asmo on Zikel with the guild A New Level (my original plan)
Let me give some more context.
I’ve been unguilded since I de-subbed from WAR the first time back in April. When I came back to WAR in July, I wasn’t sure how long I’d be around, so I avoided joining a guild. I didn’t want to join a guild and then leave shortly after; that’s not healthy for the guild. It turns out I played WAR for the past 2.5 months. Had I known I was going to be around that long, I would have applied to an excellent guild, Irony, that I grouped with frequently. Irony has the trifecta I look for in players of a guild: skilled and friendly but not elitist.
I enjoyed the tight community on PT and wanted to guild with other PT players migrating to Aion, so a few weeks ago, I applied to a guild called A New Level (ANL), started by some of my former opponents. I never grouped with them in WAR, but they were cool on the forums and we had a lot of fun fights and duels.
There was a huge Vent meeting over the weekend between guilds from both factions of PT, and they decided to roll on the Aion server Zikel. This caused some friction between some PT players and ARP (Aion Role Playing), as both groups wanted their server (Zikel and Lumiel, respectively) to be designated as the Aion official RP server.
The upshot of all this:
- Zikel looks way imbalanced in favor of Asmo, as counted from the Zikel forum on AionSource (Numbers for the Legions Elyos/Asmo). A lot of people have said it won’t matter, but in the past 2 games I’ve played, I’ve seen the effect that even a hundred competent players switching factions on a server can have, even if the server has a population of thousands of players
- there has been a lot of flaming on the AionSource Zikel forums between PT / ARP and between PT / TheMercs. All this forum drama seems to have attracted a lot of elitist guilds to Zikel. I’m not intimidated by elitist guilds from a skill perspective, but they tend to be pricks in-game and on the forums, and this creates a environment I don’t want to be a part of
Both of those points have made Zikel look less attractive as a server.
I have til tomorrow to decide.
UPDATE (2009/09/18): I’ve rolled Elyos on Triniel.
UPDATE (2009/09/24): Yesterday, I re-rolled Asmodian on Lumiel for my main character. I checked out the server out of curiosity, and the player base is very friendly.