This HD video is narrated footage of my 80 “Protribution”-spec’d Paladin in an Arathi Basin battleground (queued solo) for the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, patch 3.3.5.
Protribution is a Protection/Retribution spec that offers a functional blend of survivability, CC, and burst damage. There is a good Protribution guide written by Stax on the WoW Paladin forum, and tarja wrote an excellent article covering the spec’s playstyle on the LoDBlog.
(Double-click on the video to see it in higher-resolution / larger screen size on YouTube)
You’ll notice that I didn’t include any clips where I bubbled. I definitely use bubbles and longer cooldowns whenever I think they’re needed. E.g. we were getting rocked in the first 5 minutes of that Arathi Basin match and I burned both Lay on Hands and Divine Protection defending nodes. They were on cooldown when I was fighting that well-geared Warlock, but it did give me an opportunity to mention the importance of kiting, even as a melee.
If you have any questions, feedback, or comments, please post ’em!
I’m definitely still in the learning process and have several areas to improve on as a Protribution Paladin, e.g.:
- managing my mana more carefully. Several times in the video my gas tank got pretty low
- weaving in defensive abilities (Holy Shield, Cleanse, Sacred Shield, etc) in between my attack ability cooldowns
The majority of the gear I’m using in the video is obtainable through battlegrounds and Wintergrasp:
- From honor points: helm, necklace (renting Relentless as I grind honor), shoulders, cloak, chest, belt, boots, a ring, Medallion trinket
- From Wintergrasp marks: PVP trinket (a placeholder trinket until I get anything better LOL)
The following pieces came from PVE:
- From VoA25: Wrathful hands, T9 PVE legs for the +block value
- From PVE: 1H axe from ToC10, wrists from heroic Pit of Saron (to be replaced with Wrathful)
- From badges: libram, shield
As noted above, I still need to grind Honor points to replace some of my gear.
Once I get a better 1H weapon and shield I will apply Berserking and Titanium Plating respectively.
Here’s a link to my 58/13 PVP spec, which is commonly known as the “Jagoss” spec:
As you can tell, after the no-brainer Avenger’s Shield glyph, I am using the following glyphs:
- Hammer of Justice: the reason is simple, if your Avenger’s Shield is on cooldown and your opponent is 11-15 yards away, we have no gap closer aside from our run buff. That extra 5 yards is well worth the glyph, esp against kiters and healers
- Shield of Righteousness: this is a debatable choice, but I haven’t gotten skilled yet about managing mana as Protection, so this helps
So far Protribution has been a very functional PVP spec and the honor grind has been worth the investment in time.
P.S. I am relieved to be done with the leveling and basic gearing process for my Paladin, my 1st alt in WoW to reach the level cap. As you know if you read my blog, I have disliked the leveling process in every game except for WAR. I love endgame PVP where I can face opponents of equal or better gear (when I have at least a baseline set as I do now).
P.P.S. I plan to publish more Protribution videos from battlegrounds and hopefully arena. Stay tuned!
P.P.P.S. Hey this video’s in HD! I found out how to create HD videos with Windows Movie Maker on XP. The quality difference between 480p and 720p is huge :)