This HD video is narrated footage of my 80 Protection Paladin in an Warsong Gulch battleground (queued solo) for the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, patch 3.3.5.
(Double-click on the video to see it in higher-resolution / larger screen size on YouTube)
Notes / errata:
- When healing with Flash of Light or Holy Light, you should remove Divine Plea (e.g. while casting the heal). DP cuts your direct-cast healing in half except for Lay on Hands
- I should have switched the Retribution Aura when fighting the Retribution Paladin
- You’ll notice that I didn’t put up Sacred Shield against the Elemental Shaman – the reason is Shamans often purge buffs. So I focused on timing my CC’s to shut him down
If you have any questions, feedback, or comments, please post ’em!
Here’s a link to my 58/13 PVP spec, which is commonly known as the “Jagoss” spec:
The following pieces came from PVP:
- From honor points: necklace, cloak, bracers, belt, boots, both rings, Medallion trinket, Battlemaster’s trinket
- From arena + honor points: Relentless helm, Relentless chest
- From WG: shoulders
The following pieces came from PVE:
- From VoA25: Wrathful hands, Wrathful legs
- From PVE: i264 1H sword from ICC25 (Saurfang), i219 shield from normal HoR
- From badges: libram
I just got my Friendly rep ICC ring so I may use that instead of the Relentless ring. I still need to get a good DPS trinket. The only one I have is Herkuml War Token but that is a no-no for PVP due to the buff falling off .
I just recently started experimenting in 2v2 with my Prot Paladin and still have under 100 matches total. Here are some of the comps I’ve tried with random people:
- me + Warrior: not a good comp from the Warrior’s perspective
- me + Resto Shaman: matches take a long time
- me + under-geared Rogue: my partner was too squishy
- me + Retribution Paladin: our stuns and racial silence overlap in terms of diminishing returns (DR). Ret has Repentance but the cooldown is long (1 min)
- me + Shadow Priest: functional comp, we are able to take healer/DPS comps. The Shadow Priest still has some honor point upgrades to buy and was using a PVE spec, but we won 13 out of 15 matches and earned the 10 consecutive win Hot Streak achievement:
When I last played WoW in spring (don’t know if much has changed) I had moderate success with a prot + frost mage setup for burst, CC and decent staying power. I tried arcane spec too, but it was too much hit or miss as in “burst someone down fast or lose”. So try it – prot and a frost mage have an ability to chain stuns/slows on someone, polymorph and a weaker mortal strike. A frost mage is also arguably one of the most survivable casters due to his mobility and shields. You need someone with high burst and CC, not a healer/hybrid because you already are one. Also get a new shield :o
On a side note, have you heard about Bloodline champions? It’s a PvP game which is basically WoW arena from a top-down perspective, minus all the gear, levels and mana that’s replaced by energy (you choose a character class, which the game has lots of in the pre-game lobby). It’s currently in the closed beta stage but will supposedly be public soon. Looks like it will be fun for someone who doesn’t want to PvE to stay competitive :>
So try it – prot and a frost mage have an ability to chain stuns/slows on someone, polymorph and a weaker mortal strike. A frost mage is also arguably one of the most survivable casters due to his mobility and shields.
That makes a lot of sense.
You need someone with high burst and CC, not a healer/hybrid because you already are one
Agree on the 1st point, but I don’t really consider a Prot Pally a healer hybrid. Prot heals are weak and mana inefficient and we don’t have an Art of War proc like Ret to make them instant.
Most of the time instead of trying to heal an ally I bubble them or use Sacrifices to absorb some of their incoming damage.
I ran about 30 matches last night with a Holy Pally without Vent and we went .500, team rating got up to 1200s. We started to lose more games once it got late and we kept running into Disc/Rog and Disc/Feral comps.
I suspect that Prot Pally would work really well with Disc, but the thing is that spec is really in high demand and a Prot Pally isn’t the first partner class they’d think of.
Disc/Feral was a surprisingly strong comp, with the high sustained DPS, mana burns, mana efficiency, and instant cyclones.
On a side note, have you heard about Bloodline champions? Looks like it will be fun for someone who doesn’t want to PvE to stay competitive :>
I haven’t heard of it but let me know how good it is if you try it.
I have played Bloodline Champions (BLC), it’s in the closed beta right now so you need an invite from a friend, or get lucky and get invited. If you are a competitive person, then this game rocks. It has basically no luck involved (no crits, no dodges, none of that RNG stuff), it’s a great game. You should check it out. You can ask me and I could see what I could do about the beta invite.
You seem to be doing quite well with WoW, I’m pleased.
Too bad I can’t give you a good run for your money, that would be a nice video to watch!
Hope all is well.
Just letting you know, (don’t think you keep an eye on my youtube channel) that I’ve been playing beta lately and the Paladins new Templars Verdict/Holy Power system is looking really great.
Really brings another unique mechanic to the Paladin style of play. (Building up Holy Power through procs and spells/melle crits to unleash devastating attacks!).
Good stuff man!
Nath, signing out.
Hey Taugrim, i played on blizz long time ago but now i don’t have so much time for wow, so i’ve gone on a pirate server and i started leveling up a Paladin and i want to make it Prot pally, since the server is running 3.3.5 i can’t see what spec you had in wotlk cause of cataclysms new talent trees, so please, can you tell me how should i put in talents,what glyphs and sockets should i use?