Protection Paladin PVP Video: Patch 4.0.3a Changes in Action

Excerpt from the YouTube video description:

This HD video is narrated footage of my 80 Protection Paladin in Patch v4.0.3a in an Eye of the Storm BG (queued solo).

This is my 5th Prot PVP video since 4.0 launched, and in this one I discuss the (significant) changes that were introduced in 4.0.3a and how they impact Prot PVP.

For detailed information about 4.0.3a, check out my Prot Pally PVP Guide – in particular Section 14 where I break down every documented and undocumented change:

Summary of the changes:
A. Survivability has gone down significantly, primarily due to the nerf to PotI
B. Our burst damage has been toned down a bit, but we can still deliver effective burst
C. Our sustained DPS has decreased noticeably, due to the cumulative effect of multiple nerfs (e.g. to CS, to SoT, etc)
D. We have received a few situational buffs per the video (e.g. Crusader, Divine Plea HoPo generation)

In 4.0.3a, I changed specs from 3/31/2 to 0/31/5 given that Protector of the Innocent no longer works for self-heals. So Prot spec is once again “Protribution” (i.e. Prot/Ret).

To turn on enemy health bars, with class colors:
a. to show the health bar over all players, use the keybind for Show All Name Plates
b. to color the health bars of enemy players per their class: check the box for: Options | Interface| Combat | Class Colors in Nameplates

Errata / Clarifications:
1. the clips of WoG healing at the start of the video were intended to show that despite multiple changes to WoG (base healing increased, GbtL nerfed), its healing output is the same as before. My new spec doesn’t have PotI due to the nerf
2. the Alliance Pally that I killed in the middle and end of the video was Prot not Holy
3. when I killed the Lock, the 5.9k crit was from HoW not HotR
4. at the end of the video, after bubbling, I should have cast HL with the Crusader buff, instead of spamming FoL. Old habits die hard :)

P.S. let me know if the narration volume or game sound volume need adjusting for future vids.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Paladin, PVP, Video, World of Warcraft
7 comments on “Protection Paladin PVP Video: Patch 4.0.3a Changes in Action
  1. Marko says:

Great video – thanks for your continued diligence and support.

2. Phyll says:

Mmm, I always like playing protpala since ret kinda sucked in the past and healing isn’t my thing.
    Think protpala would be still a good spec/class when cata is around and for bg’s?
    I like melee alot and am in doubt of starting a warrior, since they seem fun and always pvp attractive.

It’s all speculation at this point.

Prot is a viable PVP spec for the live talent trees at 80.

At 85 there will be gear for Prot for slots where there isn’t currently gear for our class. E.g. 1H weapon and shields:

You’ll see people making (ridiculous) statements about what will or won’t be viable at 85, but the truth is no one will really know until Cata goes live in December and players have time to level up to 85 and get a new baseline set of PVP gear.

I leveled a Pally to 80 over the summer for two reasons:
      1. Protribution seemed like a great fit for one of my preferred PVP playstyles (durable melee with functional burst and functional CC)
      2. I was hedging in case Balance and Feral Druid didn’t look attractive in Cata in PVP

One very important note: Mortal Strike effects for all classes have been nerfed hard, I think down to 10% or so. Gone are the days where there was a spot on a 5v5 teams for MS Warrior.

Will Warriors be viable without MS in PVP? I don’t know.

I do hope Blizzard will find ways to balance classes such that there isn’t a “must-have” mechanic like MS, which had a huge effect on which arena comps were viable.

3. Valkryss says:

Taugrim – what professions do you suggest for an avid PvP Protadin? I was thinking engineering and JC… any advice?

Great movies!

JC is great for any class. I had heard that Engineering items won’t work in Rated BGs, but I’m not positive.

I took JC + Ench for both of my 80s.

4. Richard says:

Great posts taugrim, are you going to do a guide for Cataclysm aswell? im really curious what your thoughts are on protpallys and pallys in general in cataclysm, what talents to use etc.

Keep up the good work!