Here is my 5th Warrior PVP video, continuing as 1H Riftblade / Paladin:
TLDR: World PVP, how I have missed thee! It’s great to have you back :)
This HD video is narrated footage of my level 29 Warrior duoing in World PVP in the MMORPG Rift. My partner is my friend Cas, a 31 Druid/Shaman/Warden-spec’d Cleric.
Here is the 1H Riftblade/Paladin used in the video:
As mentioned in the video, 11 points is a great initial investment in the Paladin tree. With 11 points you get:
- a block reactive (Retaliation) that is off the GCD and has a low Power cost
- a passive HP buff (Gift of the Paladin)
- an HP buff (Aegis of Vitality) that can be cast on you and allied players
- an interrupt (Face Slam) on a 6-sec cooldown
- a full self-heal on a 10-min cooldown (ToL)
- a ranged stun on a 1-min cooldown (Light’s Hammer)
While Paladin may not be as “sexy” as some of other trees that are often paired with Riftblade (e.g. Reaver, Champion, and Paragon), I find the Pally tree to be underrated and very functional.
There are a lot of great things that I didn’t get to touch on in the narration:
- Make sure to “pre-load” to 3 Attack Points (APts) prior to engaging in PVP combat whenever possible. Or open up from range with Flamespear to build APts as quickly as possible
- Touch of Life, the Paladin 8-pt full self-heal, should be bound to a key that allows quick and reliable access. As you saw in the video, I got dropped to 1 HP by that level 40 Warrior Jintro, and within a quarter-second I hit ToL, which is bound to “H” (for “heal”) for me. It’s also helpful to anticipate when you are going to need to use it – I was already thinking I would need it based on how fast my HP bar was dropping. And don’t wait too long to hit ToL – many classes have finishers that will drop you from hundreds of HP to zero
- It’s critical to strafe when trying to gap opponents, so that you maintain your facing and therefore are able to block and parry. As you can see the 2nd and 3rd times I faced Jintro, I never gave up my back. In a close fight, proper strafing is a huge factor in determining the outcome
- Stonespear (ranged root, 30-sec cooldown) and Freeze Armor (ranged snare, 15 sec duration and cooldown) are fantastic tools for disruptive the movement and timing of your opponent
On a side note, so far I’ve gotten the better of pretty much every Riftblade Warrior I’ve faced in PVP. I have some great footage, including my first Whitefall Steppes match @ 30 in the 30-39 bracket, so when I have time I’ll edit and narrate more videos.
Lastly, as I have written elsewhere, so far Rift has been a blast to play. While I enjoy battlegrounds (“warfronts” in Rift), World PVP has always been the PVP context I enjoy most – you never know what you’re going to get – and WoW was sadly lacking in meaningful World PVP.
Thankfully in Rift, it’s easy to find opponents of the other faction if you go looking ^^
If you have questions/comments/feedback, post ’em!