The most common critique of the Warrior class, as eloquently framed by a sharp player named Lunacresia on my server, is the lack of survivability of Warriors in PVP.
There are multiple factors which synergistically contribute to the lack of survivability:
- Damage by many specs/classes is not Physical, so Plate armor doesn’t provide as much value relative to other games
- Warriors do not share a built-in stat or mechanic that boosts their durability significantly compared to other games. E.g. there is no equivalent of WAR’s Toughness mechanic (which provided flat mitigation), which Warriors were able to stack in their spec
- Warriors deal their most effective damage and CC in melee range, but many Warrior specs lack CC breakers that enable them to consistently avoid getting kited
- Warriors lack either the escapability or self-healing capability of other classes
I have played durable melee classes in other games, including:
- LOTRO Captain (medium armor, very high HP, some self-healing)
- WAR Swordmaster (plate armor, high HP, high mitigation, and high on-use avoidance for 2H via Wall of Darting Steel)
- WoW Protection Paladin (plate armor, high HP, high mitigation)
While playing those 3 classes, other (intelligent) enemy players actively avoided targeting me if other squishier targets were available. That makes sense.
However, in Rift this is not the case. By 50, everyone seems to have figured out that Warriors have limited survivability, and players actively target Warriors to burn them down, even a high-HP shield-bearing player such as my Riftblade/Paladin Warrior.
There have been various suggestions made as to how to address the current lack of survivability. The simplest and most elegant solution I have read is to add an Elemental Resistance component to Plate armor. This would address issues #1 and #2 above, and increased durability would enable a Warrior to survive long enough for gap-closing cooldowns to be available for use which partially addresses issue #3 above. The lack of escapability and self-healing (issue #4) is a problem not easily solved. But by simply adding Elemental Resistance to make Warriors more durable, as they are in every other game I have played, would help address a lot of the frustration of the playerbase.
As a closing thought, I want to say that I enjoy my Warrior and love the spec that I play. But not everyone is willing to run as a 1H Riftblade/Paladin and that is completely understandable, and as a Warrior I want what is balanced and fair as a whole for my class, including specs which I do not play.