Protection Paladin PVP Video (Patch 4.0): 1v3 / 2v4 in Alterac Valley

Excerpt from the YouTube video description:

This HD video is narrated footage of my 80 Protection Paladin in Patch v4.0.1 in extended fighting against multiple (poorly geared) opponents. I made this video to entertain, to show chaining of defensive abilities, and to demonstrate the importance of strafing when fighting multiples (I blocked a ton of damage over the fight).

Before crying for nerfs, consider the poor gear of my opponents (e.g. low Gear Score, PVE gear, empty gem slots, poor gem / enchant choices, etc) and what they failed to do throughout the video (e.g. heal each other, peel, kite from me when they’re at low health, etc). Also, that Holy Pally Booths bought me at least a minute of life by taking the focus fire off me and allowing time for Forbearance to wear off and my 3m cooldowns to reset.

I did not call it out in the video, but after using SotR with 3 stacks of Holy Power, you can stun your target to re-build your Holy Power while the target is CC’d.

For more information on Prot Pally PVP, please check out my guide on this blog.

I haven’t made videos for a class / spec this frequently since my Swordmaster in Warhammer Online! Yesterday I posted a copy of my PVP guide on the WoW Paladin forum as there are many questions posted there but no clear material on how to play the spec.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Paladin, PVP, Video, World of Warcraft
33 comments on “Protection Paladin PVP Video (Patch 4.0): 1v3 / 2v4 in Alterac Valley
  1. trôndhar says:

I was wondering if you maybe could give some hints about macroing certain abilities. Since I’ve been watching your video you are using crusader strike and your UI changes immediately to your seal.

Would help me out a lot.

The guide for itself is just great and I managed to get the tactics and the handling for it very quickly. So very good work there.

Regards,
    Markus

Hi Markus,

You are the 3rd person to ask for this since last night.

I will definitely add a Macros section to the guide in the next day or so, so check there.

Thanks!
      Taugrim

2. Rimtim says:

What I dont get is that atm nobody cries for a ProtPaly nerf. With good resilence you destroy every class exept mages in PvP. Every fight against a melee class ends with the protpaly at 100% health and the enemy dead. The selfheal is so powerfull that every damage that you get is just another attack power buff. Maybee people dont realise that they fight a prot or protpalys are so few in numbers in PvP that people just dont notice it.

You are basing your assessment of a class based on watching one player’s videos?

I make the videos to showcase Prot Pally tips and tactics. To be honest, sometimes my opponents make me look good, as was most definitely the case in this video.

Assuming equal gear, I won’t/shouldn’t kill an opponent in a 1v2 if they use common sense. If they’re getting beat on all they need to do is CC / kite while their buddy kills me or heals them or they can run away, like I did in my second 4.0 video:

The Rogue and Prot Pally missed numerous opportunities to CC/finish me. The Rogue doesn’t Kidney Shot me. The Prot Pally AS’d me when I had my bubble up but never after and he never used HoW even though my health was easily below the HoW threshold. Does that mean my class is OP?

With good resilence you destroy every class exept mages in PvP

Rogues and Warriors have a hard time with us, no doubt. That was the case pre-4.0 and is still the case now. We are a class that has strong anti-melee capability (Block, damage reflect, etc).

From my experience, assuming equal gear and skill and cooldowns available, a Mage or Lock should consistently beat a Prot Pally.

Pre-4.0 any decent Mage would wreck a Prot (or Ret) Pally every time. Now? It’s not easymode for them anymore. I’ve dueled some Mages who can’t kite well or don’t understand Prot and they lose to me and whine about Prot being OP. That’s a skill issue – the game mechanics favor them if they know what they are doing and can kite. I do find it ironic that Mages are complaining about imbalance when they always won pre-4.0.

Spriests can beat us if they’re skilled.

Feral Druids can be tough for Prot if they know how to rotate CC’s, use bleeds, and don’t stand toe-to-toe the entire time letting us build up Holy Power.

I’ve told Hunters they should switch to a Ranged Pet so that I can’t use it as a Holy Power battery like I can a Melee Pet. So far, zero have taken my advice. One guy said he couldn’t be bothered to train a new Pet. LOL.

I’ll never kill a skilled/geared Healer trying not to die. That Shaman in my 3rd video (EotS) was a great example. She was healing other people while I was beating on her. I’ve literally been heal-kited for 5 minutes by a good Healer in WSG.

There’s a hidden assumption in that statement – you are assuming every Prot Pally has the same gear and skill as I do. I don’t objectively believe I’m average in either department when it comes to BGs.

FWIW, I can link you numerous videos of me playing classes from other games where I wreck people – even when I’m playing a “weak” class against a stronger one. Here’s a good example – me winning a 1v2 against a better geared tank and healer – with a class that was widely considered the crappiest tank in WAR:

If you read through the comments for that vid on YouTube, 1 player claimed I was playing a FotM class (laughable IMO) but the rest all said it was well-played.

• Rimtim says:

I play a prot paly in full wrathfull and I have to say theirs no class exept mages that have a real chance in 1v1. Not because Im soooo skilled, its because you can beat almost anyone by spamming cs/wog and avenger shield when it procs.

OK fair enough.

I have one concern about posting these videos and that is that they will be used as justification for Prot Pally nerfs.

IMO it’s still early in 4.0 to assess what’s balanced and what is not – and when there is massive change it takes time for people to adapt.

3. Trôndhar says:

Great news and thanks for the fast reply.

I do have one more question.
    In common 1vs2 ore more situations isn’t it more efficient to use Shield of the Righteous? Since it does ae-dmg to everybody who is fighting you though Crusader Strike is more for singletarget-dps?

In order to survive I also do switch seal to seal of light if I have only melees and no heals in range. So the dmgincome will also heal (I know not very much but it keeps me some room to survive instead of the truth seal).

Correct me if I’m doing wrong there

You mean HotR I think.

In general, yes. I was using CS because there were between 1-2 enemy Healers so my goal was to try to burn down 1 target as fast as possible.

Assuming you mean SoI, yes, that’s a very valid tactic. It heals on our melee hit not on incoming damage, so it’s not as helpful against kiters but is effective vs melees.

I never expected to live anywhere near as long as I did in the video, and I kept SoT up instead of switching because stretching out a fight in a 1v2/1v3/1v4 situation isn’t necessarily helpful when there are enemy Healers around.

Granted, if I was solo defending a node in AB and wanted to buy time not necessarily kill, then switching to max survivability mode as you suggest would be the way to go.

• trôndhar says:

Understood :-)

And I guess CS is buffed through the 5% setbonus on CS so it will do more damage than HotR would.

I guess I just setup the second bar just with CS instead of HotR – so I can easily switch.

Sorry for some newbish questions :) But you really helped me out there :)

Pally Ho :)

Sorry for some newbish questions :) But you really helped me out there :)

Pally Ho :)

You are most welcome, that’s what this blog is for – to share information.

4. Rimtim says:

A nice tactic is to spamm heals on friendly targets and lure enemys into attacking you instead of the rest of the group because they think you are a holy paly. ;)

5. Yazid says:

Taugrim, whats the addons you use ?

Addons related to Combat that I remember offhand:

1. Range Display: shows distant to target, mouseover, and focus. Simple but awesome

2. Power Auras: for defining custom auras. I have several defined, including:
      a. showing when Sacred Duty has proc’d with an icon and playing a wind chimes tune
      b. showing when Hammer of Wrath is available with an icon and playing a sword unsheathing sound

And a couple ones that show when my buff/Aura are not up.

3. OmniCC: shows cooldown number on the skill icon

4. Quartz: casting bar, totally optional for Prot (and Ret)

6. Yazid says:

Ah Power Auras, you used a similar addon on warhammer online if im right

I dont have any luck with that kind of addon because im just too lazy to tweak it to my needs, maybe ill try again this time

Yes, I used a similar one in WAR to track DoTs, debuffs, and buffs.

I can post my Power Auras on this blog if people want to import them.

7. Pwnnage Ravencrest says:

Please do! =]!

8. Oozo says:

Grats on the guide, it’s getting nice support on the forums. Will watch movie later, gotta run!

9. Calvin Chen says:

I have a question I looked at your talents how come you don’t get toughness and what exactly is the good use of Divine guardian ??

10. Calvin Chen says:

but wouldnt toughness be useful against other players that doesnt use bleed? and also I would love to look on your advice- Is it good to go full glad ret gear as a prot pally or 3x Ret and 2x holy for mana pool and get it gem with str?

The 4-pc set bonus on the Scaled (Ret) set is too good to pass up. So no, I wouldn’t mix-n-match the sets to get the double Resil bonus.

We don’t have mana pool issues.

11. Calvin Chen says:

Oh and also for the extra res.

12. Calvin Chen says:

I keep losing to mages in arena and my mana runs out too fast cause my teammate is a hunter i have to heal him what do i do? also what are best seals to use and aura?and blessing

Mages are strong, period.

If you running out of mana, something is wrong. Does your Hunter have 3k Resilience? If no, why not?

I discuss Seals in my guide.

Aura – Resistance vs casters, Retribution vs melee

13. Calvin Chen says:

Well im only lvl 70 haha D; but I feel like im getting weaker and how do you make your crusade strike and judgement icons change?

14. Calvin Chen says:

I also have a question, how do you manage to have such a good rotation because I notice your keys and assume that you play with one hand on key board and one hand on mouse, so i was wondering what keys you use to move around?

When I have time, I will write a movement/keybind Guide. It’s too complex a topic to explain in a few short paragraphs.

So check back about this every couple weeks or so.

15. Calvin Chen says:

Oh yeah sorry for the bother once again but then I did the macro with the crusade strike / judgement but how come my icon doesn’t change like yours?