Guide to Keybinding in MMOs for PVP and PVE

The Default Keybinds for MMORPGs are Wrong

The default keybinds for every MMORPG do not support skillful play.

Consider this illustrative keybinding diagram from the game RIFT (this is not a knock on RIFT, which is a good game):

RIFT's Default KeybindsWhat we see is that the vast majority of useful keybinds for your left hand are being used for:

• a common movement setup – WSAD and QE – that is incredibly limiting (more on this later)
  • UI functions that have no relevance to actual combat, e.g. “G” for Guild panel, “B” for Bags, etc

All you have to work with is the number key, and unless you have the reach of Liberacci, that leaves you with only 6 keybinds (“1” through “6”) to work with for your abilities. This entire approach makes no sense.

Many players accept it as-is and work around it, either by adding modifiers (i.e. Shift/Control/Alt) to trigger abilities or getting hardware that helps to address the lack of available keybinds.

However, most players don’t address the root issue – by not fixing the default keybindings you are placing an artificial handicap on your skill level. It’s like trying to run but with your feet chained together. Yes, you can do it, but no, you’ll never hit your potential stride, and that’s what this is all about. Raising your gameplay.

By comparison, here are the keybinds that I used for RIFT:

Taugrim's RIFT Keybinds

I have over 20 keybinds to activate abilities / macros with a single keypress, which enables me to to fluidly circle-strafe and kite-strafe while activating abilities.

So I’ve provided a couple examples of my keybinds. Before you start re-mapping your keybinds, there is something you must understand first…

Before You Keybind, You Must Understand What Proper Movement Looks Like

Real life combat is all about good movement. Flanking your opponent. Taking angles to set up your punches and kicks. The same principles apply to combat in MMORPGs.

Any keybindings setup should

1. provide the ability to circle-strafe and kite-strafe to keep a target in your facing as much as possible, and
  2. enable high fidelity / accuracy for using abilities quickly, and
  3. not give you carpal tunnel :)

Let’s look at these concepts #1 and #2 applied in the following video:

As discussed in the video, the setup I have landed on after years of iteration and tweaking is:

• right hand on the mouse for character turn, camera rotation, and forward movement
  • left hand for left strafe, right strafe, and all abilities
  • for games where there is a dodge mechanic or aiming that requires you to keep your target in front of you, I bind backward movement as well

Here’s another illustrative video of how to strafe-kite properly, with footage from the game RIFT:

Please note that I do not use a gaming mouse (e.g. Razer Naga gaming mouse), nor do I have any plans to do so, as I do not have a need. Moreover, games such as GW2 and WildStar are continuing the trend towards action combat with limited number of abilities, so there are fewer abilities to keybind. That said, if you feel you perform better with gaming hardware, great, stick with what works for you.

Keybinding is a sensitive topic, so keep in mind that the intention of the above video is to show “one way of thinking about it.” The way that you feel comfortable setting up your keybinds may be very different from mine – that’s fine – what matters is that you are able to execute the 3 numbered points above. I’ve had many gamers adopt my setup or its philosophy and they have reported good success. YMMV.

How to Learn New Keybindings

Realize that rebinding your keys is one of the most disruptive things you can do. It’s like learning to walk all over again. Therefore, you have to be patient. It typically takes a week of playing to get the muscle memory down for a new setup.

Do not remap your keybinds and then queue up for PVP or join a PVE raid. You will find yourself struggling and getting frustrated, because your natural reactions are to use your old keybinds. And then you’ll come blame me, and I’ll have to quote this section.

The easiest way to learn a new set of keybinds is to roll a new character, experiment, and by the time you hit level 10 or so, you’ll be well on your way to feeling much more comfortable with it. At that point you can try your new keybinds on higher-level characters.

Let me know how it goes!

Gaming Peripheral Reviews

In recent years I’ve begun to test and use gaming keyboards – here are my reviews:

Game-Specific Keybinding Guides

Per reader request, I have created keybinding maps and guides for specific games, given that each game has particular mechanics that should be accounted for:

Posted in Guide, PVP, Video
288 comments on “Guide to Keybinding in MMOs for PVP and PVE
  1. Aris says:

Hello Taugrim and thank you for another excellent video. I have been pleasantly surprised to see your key set-up. I grasp the concept and I like it so much that I plan to try it tonight. Your videos are well edited and the commentary spot-on. I will be looking forward to your next installment.

Thanks for the feedback.

What I recommend you do is create a dummy alt, import all your current keybindings to that character, so you have a backup.

Then you can try out different keybindings on your main.

It definitely takes time to get used to a different setup so patience is key :)

• Hreulfgar says:

FYI:
        Type /exportui and hit enter, this saves a file in the rift folder for your ui setup
        Type /exportkeybindings and hit enter, this saves a file in the rift folder for your keybindings

* Now when you go to another shard, etc., you can type /importui , then /importkeybindings .

2. Oozo says:

I use the same keys, but also remap the tilde (~) key. I also use the mouse more. My mouse has two side buttons which I use for things that need quick reaction (interrupts, for example). Whenever I can (depending on the game) I also remap mouse scroll up and mouse scroll down. My mouse also has a nice feature where the middle mouse button can be tilted to the left or the right. Using the mouse software, I have those tilts mapped to shift and control. That really opens up the number of noncarpal tunnel inducing keybinds for me. ;-D

I still use WASD to move, keeping W for forward movement rather than using the mouse for forward movement. I keep S available for backward movement because sometimes it’s the only way to keep someone off of your back if you are snared. I always remap turn right and turn left to strafe right and strafe left. It should be one of the first things anyone does. I use the mouse for turning and panning.

I typically use V or shift+V for movement abilities and mount, so we have that keybind in common. :)

You might want to mention how you choose some of your keybinds. You likely use B for Bubble, H for heal. When first coming up with your keybinds, that can help you to remember a few of them until they become part of your muscle memory. Also, I notice that you use E for “Defense” and that you probably use E for your major defensive abilities no matter what class you are playing. I personally use Q for my major defensive abilities, and I keep that consistent no matter what I’m playing. That helps to learn new keybinds when switching classes.

You know all of this, of course, but it is probably worth mentioning in the guide as on overall keybinding strategy. Nice job, I think people will find it helpful. :)

Do you keep your left hand shifted over to the left relative to the typing neutral position of ASDF? If yes and you have middle finger on W, that makes sense. I know a lot of people activate W for forward movement with ring finger, and that doesn’t make intuitive sense.

When I used to make use of the keyboard for movement I always changed from WSAD to EDSF. But I’ve replaced EDSF as I’ve said with mouse movement.

You might want to mention how you choose some of your keybinds

Basically I treat 1-6, Q-Y, A-H as my most frequently-used abilities, as they are all around W and R where my left hand often is, so I can strafe and activate abilities without having to reach.

In previous games, I have mapped E to a frequently-pressed defensive ability. E.g. a Parry buff, etc. It’s super easy to access with my middle finger, and that way I don’t mix-mash my 1-5 DPS keys with defensive abilities.

• Oozo says:

Middle finger is over W, yes. I suspect that you use your middle finger for your main spammable attack. I use my mouse button for my main spammable. So, basically I use the mouse for what your middle finger does and my middle finger for what your mouse does. ;)

On the other points, I wasn’t talking about functionality I was talking about the memorization part of it. Using key letters for certain abilities can help learn the keybind. For example, in WoW I used “B” for “B”andages. You will be using “G” for “G”uard. Probably not a coincidence, right? ;)

Oozo

Correct.

Here are more mnemonics I use:
          S for Snare/Slow
          D for Disable casting, aka silence
          F for Freeze in place, aka root
          Q for Quit casting, aka interrupt

• AceofSpadez619 says:

Really great vid Taugrim from a very casual gamer who mainly does PvE b/c 1. don’t play much, so constantly leveling and 2. my reflexes are slow and i’d spend so much time looking at the keyboard I’d be smashed in PvP!! Your suggestions about generic keybinds for all classes/chars will do wonders for muscle memory and reflexes….and making setting up an MMO not so much of a ‘chore’ for casual, yet serious (meaning not a preteen just trying to run my toon around in his/her undies) gamers such as myself.

Like Oozo and others who balk at changing from WASD movement, I suspect most just shift their hand over from ASDF so that their middle finger is over the S or W while playing. I’ve tried to adopt your concept to doing that, but the idea of moving to ESDF is compelling, since you get your pinky back to kick off some skills if need be, and also more range to get from 5 down to B more easily.

Anyway, great work!!

AceofSpadez619

3. Bryan says:

Taugrim,

Very interesting setup, I like how you’ve logically organized everything for muscle memory.

I do something similar but since I play a lot of FPS as well I’m married to “WASD” for movement, I bind everything around me, INCLUDING a shift modifier, for fast access. Q,E,R,F, ~,1,2,3,4 and SHFT + Q,E,R,F, ~,1,2,3,4 as my “fast access abilities.

However I agree with you, I hardly ever take my hand off right move click for movement, and I strictly use A and D to strafe.

4. Actblur says:

Another great video Taugrim, i always find it surprising that a lot of people who pvp likes to leave their backs wide open.

But i would like to put forward a few points of my own if you don’t mind.

1. For Pve, i would say that strafe kiting is pretty dangerous because creatures on your sides can easily be in your blind spot and it might become fatal especially if you’re kiting an elite mob and you aggroed other mobs. So i always backshot kite, which is doable with a riftblade.

2. For Pvp, strafe kiting is extremely limited by latency. I don’t know about you guys but in WOW, where i would have latency of 400-500 since i am playing in Singapore, it is impossible to execute strafe kiting cause i am close to 0.5 seconds slower than people in America. Latency in RIFT is better for me at around 200-300, but i am sure i would still see people in America out-strafing me. So you might want to put a disclaimer on it as it will be affected by latency.

thanks.

Understood and agreed. PVE is a different context. In PVE sometimes I place my right hand over the arrow keys for movement.

2. For Pvp, strafe kiting is extremely limited by latency

It is affected by latency, but gapping an opponent will still provide benefit IMO.

5. Andrew says:

Hello Taugrim,

This isnt really related to your recent video however i was inclined to ask you for feedback in regards to a recent build ive been tinkering with. In regards to Pvp i made some interesting changes and wanted to know what you think.

While lvling i found myself with the 38 riftblade and 12+ pally ,ainly for the sweeping strike for damage, once i hit 50 and had 38/28 build i just found that it didnt have enough bang. Interestingly Vindicator seems to offer alot for very little. since i only have 12 in Paladin im losing out on Paladin’s devotion however im trading for break free. With 18 points you get Shield charge however in vindicator you get both Thunderous leap and Unrestrained as gap closers which puts you at 3. The benefits are huge, 15% chance not to be crit hit, 6% damage increase to players, and a free 15 sec (30 sec CD) mark that reduces healing by 30%!!!, no longer will we have issues with pesky healers.

Just thought i would share this and see what you think.

Interestingly Vindicator seems to offer alot for very little

I agree with this assessment. Vind has some excellent buffs and on-use abilities/debuffs. This is part of what I love about Rift. Many different ways to skin the cat :)

6. Darker Muse says:

I’m stuck at WASD, but have a mouse with three buttons remapped to CTRL,SHIFT and ALT. I use q,e,r,f,z,x,c&s-all with either a CTRL,SHIFT or ALT modifier. I also run the same modifiers with the middlle mouse button/spacebar.
    It’s interesting to see how someone else organises their binds though, I suspect many of us that pvp a lot organise by category of skills:)
    I must say though Taugrim, you are more dextrous than I am:P

7. […] see the article that provides a video Guide, screenshots, and descriptive text on how my character control is setup. […]

8. Morgan says:

Brilliant little guide. Just moving Q and E (left and right) to W and R is such a simple concept that opens up a lot.. i just never considered doing it as it goes against everything to not use WASD (QE) :)

A fantastic article, many thanks

9. taugrim says:

Morgan :

Just moving Q and E (left and right) to W and R is such a simple concept that opens up a lot. i just never considered doing it as it goes against everything to not use WASD (QE)

Little tweaks can make a significant difference in usability.

Don’t be constrained/confined by the default keybindings. You should tailor the keybindings to suit your needs. And as I wrote in an earlier comment, Rift makes this easy with the “Import” feature between characters, so you can create “backups” of your keybindings.

10. Cronic says:

For your specific key bindings with all the abilities how do you decide which ones to put in 1-5 is it the strongest or more user preference?

Depends on the game and the mechanics of abilities.

E.g. in other games, I have done this:
      1: opener
      2: snare
      3: spam
      4: spam/finisher
      5: heavy finisher

I’ve mapped my 3-5 keys this way in Rift, but I mapped 1-2 different based on the # of AtPt AOE finishers this class has.

11. lyddia says:

Hi, could you please clarify?

In your first video you mentioned that in PvP you should neither move backwards nor turn your back to your opponent and move. But then how are you supposed to move “backwards”? If you strafe to a certain direction you actually have your back turned to the opposite direction. Or are you supposed to strafe in a “zig-zag” way?

That’s what I do, as shown when I was strafe kiting in Codex under heavy focus fire.

In some rare cases I will use the down arrow key for moving backwards. But in most circumstances strafing is better.

12. Potent says:

Great article!

I only started using keybinds in WAR but I don’t think I could ever go back. I have a very similar setup to you but shifted to the left (i.e based around the classic WASD). I’m considering switching to the ESDF area, but ctrl/shift modifiers feel a bit distant.

One thing I have noticed in RIFT is that both players and mobs appear to be able to dodge attacks made from behind them. I’m not sure about block/parry/resist but it certainly seems to be the case for dodge.

That is my impression too, and that is the same as with other games such as WoW.

• Potent says:

Ah then if that is indeed the case I shall kite rogues under the effect of ‘Side Steps’ rather than try and get behind them :).

13. Khloo says:

I immediately became a better pvper after using your advice as a basic setup. Once you have mapped the abilities for one build, it becomes intuitive when the time comes to macro and key new ones. My thanks for this!

14. draji says:

kinda new at this but i tried to set up ur macros to give it a shot and can’t get them to work. i typed them in as they appear on ur site but no go….can ya e-mail me or tell me exactly how u type the macros in, not sure if im missing something..noticed on ur pvp video’s ur skills on ur bar r like renamed for the keys (aoe spam or spam) how did u do this…thanks for the help

It sounds like you are having issues just getting a macro to work. You can Google guides for setting up macros or just have a friend or ask for someone on /1 to help you write a macro.

15. Xandoras says:

Hey man im a huge fan, both of u and PvP. Which leads me 2 my question. Do u think that Trion has done enough 2 retain PvPers for the long haul? i love this game and its combat system, i only wish that there was more incentive for me 2 play it without the fear of it getting old really quickly.Whats ur take on this and what do u as a PvPer seek as fair reward for all your hard work?

Do u think that Trion has done enough 2 retain PvPers for the long haul?

It’s too early to tell. I think Trion has done a good job creating the warfronts.

The current rewards are gear, titles, being able to spend more talent points, and fun.

16. darthmullett says:

Taug,nice tutorial as usual.As you may have known I was a hybrid key turner with some keybindings,but I would highly recommend that you pick up the razer naga mouse.I got it 3 weeks ago and it is awesome.it has 17 programmable buttons,with 12 at your thumb.It took me a bit to get used to,but once you put in the work the rewards are great.Hope to be on Rift soon.Just trying to see what the patch is like before I commit.

17. Dyu says:

Hi Taugrim, loving your guides at the moment and I love to say a big thank you. I’m going to hit lv 50 today and I was wondering if you have worked out your level 50 build. I tried the riftblades final sword buff (healing one) and i feel it wasn’t worth losing power regen. Would you recomend going deeper in pally tree?

18. Halfpork says:

Great Tutorial !
    I am a bit newbie. What is Bubble ? :)

A “bubble” is a damage absorption ability that has:
      – a fixed absorption amount, or
      – a fixed duration, or
      – both

E.g. Pally’s Reverent Protection “bubble”, an ability that requires 21 points to get.

• Halfpork says:

Thanks.

taugrim :
        E.g. Pally’s Reverent Protection “bubble”

So what is “G” guard about then ?
        About key biddings , so far I found some difficulty to press 2,1,Q,and TAB buttons when strafe to the right. maybe its my hand’s physiologic problem I don’t know.. :)

• Halfpork says:

Think I got it. Guard is “Stoneshield”

19. Verigan says:

Hi I just wanted to ask, can this strafing moves be applied to Allods online.

These concepts can be applied to almost MMORPG for any melee or ranged class – albeit with less effectiveness in Aion due to strafing having slower movement.

Watch any of my Allods videos and you will see my tightly circle-strafing targets.

20. Drago says:

Hey Taug, quick question and honestly I’m just curious more than anything. If you use both mouse buttons to run forward how are you targeting players? Do you just use tab or strafe then left click. Just wondering for the flow of movement.

21. Verigan says:

Sryy one more question how do u move your character with this build

22. Forbidden says:

Taugrim,

I just want to thank you for your help. I am 51 years old and a lousy pvper to say the least however with your help I at least hold my own now. Hurray for the old guy. Thanks,

It doesnt help being left handed either, lol.

Awesome to hear the video was helpful :)

I’m no spring chicken myself. We gotta keep up with the kids you know, they grow up playing consoles with complex controllers :D

23. Paravian says:

Taugrim you old warhorse :)

Mate, I have to say you are a deadset legend. As you know, I have been a clicker for my whole mmorpg playing career and never understood or could figure out how to get key pressing to work for me (not enough fingers). I have my 47 main warrior now trying it out with a few not all your keybinds and avoiding clicking entirely and sort of getting the hang of it. I have just made my first alt in Rift and set it all up as per your graphic and am going to level with it and learn it slowly, then I can apply it to my main a little bit better. I am really enjoying it, albiet finding my play a little clunky but only from inexperience.

I am levelling a Cleric tank, and will give Cleric melee a go in PvP aswell as my warrior. on a side note, did some warfronts with the warrior and didnt click once, got top dmg, killing blows and flag carrier kills at elast 3 out of 5 times, so it must be working ok for me.

I thank you again kind Sir, for your thoughtfullness and insight.

Paravian

24. taugrim says:

The more time you put into getting comfortable with this, the greater the payoff will be. It’s a huge transition moving from clicking skills to activating them via keypress.

The analogy I tell people is that it’s like learning how to type with your fingers, when what you have been used to doing is typing via clicking on a digital keyboard. Typing with your fingers is simply much much faster and accurate, once you get the hang of it.

Let us know how it goes!

25. Paravian says:

So far so good. I actually could do the circle strafe and kite strafe with my keys, and played like that all the time but now with the mouse its so much easier and my left hand doesnt get tired from haveing to hold down two seperate keys to do the one thing.

I ahve been putting it into play now on my warrior. what i did was get the layout of the keybindings right on my alt, with all the different buttons keybinded to certian keys in an order. Top action bar for 1-6, below that in order QERTASDFGH so its easy for me to figure it out, then just imported it onto the warrior and moved the abilities around to the right place. The ones i find hard are pressing ability buttons like QAS etc when I am circle strafing and trying to spam 3 & 4 at the same time but it is getting easier.

A few quick dungeon runs and my guildies couldnt even notice the difference, all though I am yet to transfer it to my pally tank spec, I just went as dps so I had no pressure. my movement is really smooth now, and no delays in turning to pick adds etc up.

Thanks again, i’ll let you know more as I go.

Paravian (Valkyriez)

Fatigue/discomfort is an important consideration for keybindings.

I used to find that my wrists would get tired from PVP’ing, but with the setup documented in the video I no longer have that problem.

26. Paravian says:

oh, and with my eyes no longer looking at my action bar, i can actually read a battle better. Thats probably the biggest gain, before it was quick looks to see what was going on but then back to my action bar so i could see what i needed to click on next. I cant believe i got to 1700 arena as a full clicker, wish I had of tried the change ages ago.

Brodie

Exactly. That is one of the big reasons for moving away from ability-clicking. You want your eyes on the battlefield not on your bars as much as possible.

Granted I do need to look down at my bars to see timers on cooldowns and such. But most of the time I keep my eyes on what’s going on around me.

27. tarshana says:

Hey, I’m left handed, too! I’m fond of my number keypad =D

Great video Taugrim. Glad I finally got a few minutes to sit down and go through more of your blog. My head is full of ideas and advice =)

28. Snake says:

For your CC bindings, are you using macros or specific skills for each key, i.e. is “Q” = Windspear, etc.?

29. Cerkoryn says:

I managed to figure most of it out, but what are the macros you have set on 2 and 4?

30. Eric says:

as mention before for the oldies :-) your posts gives me tons of ideas
    i will be trying to implement the Key layout and hope for the good
    on the build i would love to continue see more posts from you regarding key layout and build
    thanks for the HELP :)

31. Averil says:

Hi. Another older guy here trying to keep up with the kids, so I thank you for your helpful guides. Couple of questions.

I’ve been going over your macros and I’m having a little difficulty relating them to your keybindings. Do they correspond or are you actually using something different?

Also, the mechanics of both types of straffing still elude me, even with your keybinding. A few words on the mechanics would be useful. For example, for circle straffing, are you just straffing (ie. w or r key) and then using your mouse to adjust facing?

The diagram above (and in the videos) matches what I actually use, with a few additions:
      Y: Storm Burst
      X: Rift Storm

A few words on the mechanics would be useful.

If you can be as specific as possible, I’ll post responses. E.g. your next question is very specific:

To circle-strafe clockwise: left strafe (for me, “W”), and right-mouse-turn (right mouse button depressed while sliding the mouse to the right).

To circle-strafe counter-clockwise: right strafe (for me, “R”), and right-mouse-turn (right mouse button depressed while sliding the mouse to the left).

• Averil says:

Thanks Taugrim, that’s helpful. I can see that I’ll need some practice here.

For kite straffing, do you just move forward at an oblique angle while using the w or r key? Not sure how to get the backward movement shown in your video.

Regarding the macros, do the macros in part 12 of your March 20/11 post match up with your keybindings? That’s the part that has me puzzled.

Sorry in advance for the dumb questions. This is my first PvP melee character and it’s taken a little getting used to.

If I understand you correctly, yes.

Not sure how to get the backward movement shown in your video.

I don’t move backwards, period.

I strafe (move sideways) away from targets. At some angles it may look like I am moving backwards, but you can tell that I am not because I am not moving slowly.

The Guide itself has my most recent macros – that’s what I keep up-to-date. The Comments get outdated over time.

32. […] As discussed in the video, the Marksman tree has excellent kiting/strafing mechanics. If you are looking for more information on how to strafe, please see my video guide on strafing and keybinding. […]

33. Colso says:

Just bound my keyboard as yours, and got some questions appeared :D

1. What is that on your Z key? I compared all possible spells, but none of them did match that picture :(
    2. Does “AoE Bi” on your 1 key means AoE Bind? (e.g. forces the target to attack you)
    3. What is in your 2 key macro? Only the Earthexplosion? Is it just to show the AoE Snare text or are there more spells in it?
    4. Your Fiery Blast macro at the 4 key, is this to spam rotatory fiery blast and flame spear? So you build up one AtPt and burn it instantly away with FB? (if the FS means flame spear… I play it with german client, so I am not that aware of the correct translations ;) )
    5. Does your macros at 1,3,T,A and MM match up the same as you posted in your guide, or are there any additions?

1. I’ve recently bound Z to a “Focus Target” macro

2. Yes

3. Earth Burst

4. I ditched the macro, not for me but for people watching my videos. The macro caused too much confusion.

5. I have a simple Guard macro and the Focus Target macro. I will add those to the Guide after publishing my next Warrior video.

• Colso says:

1. Will you add that one too?

3. We meant the same, I just translated it wrong :D

4. It’s not that confusing… Just simple ;)

My playstyle ist getting more and more better… There are only just a few spells which my fingers won’t activate how they should :D E.g. the interrupt on Q, the frost armour on S and sometimes the mass AoE on 1.
        I always do some sort of finger acrobatic to activate them :D

34. Balanced says:

Good Vid. Some things I have noticed playing MM in the past.

1) First off, the spec is very party dependant, and it is a TERRIBLE solo spec at lower levels. That reason is because the damage output is low and we have no cc or healing utility. Also while mm can kite many melee classes, they still have trouble with mages and many cleric callings. While it gets considerably better at level ranges 30+, I would avoid trying to solo pvp until at least 35-40

35. Balanced says:

wrong topic… how’d that happen 0.0

36. […] Effective kite-strafing and circle-strafing technique can give you an significant advantage against other players, as demonstrated in the first clip where against the Assassin Rogue. After the initial stunlock, I did not give up my back to the Assasin Rogue for the remainder of the fight and was able to consistently gap him using CC, CC counters, and strafing. For information on strafing, please check out my video guide on strafing and keybinding setup […]

37. Harkainos says:

Taugrim,

First off. Thank you so much for your tutorials, they have been most helpful and really allowed me to use a playstyle that I like in PVP as a warrior.

I know this probably isn’t tied directly to THIS tutorial, but I was wondering what stat archetype you focus on getting, dps (STR/DEX/CRIT/AP) or tank (END/BLK/Dodge)? Or are you picking up all the pvp gear that has Valor on it?

Check out Section 9 of my Riftblade PVP Guide for stat priority:

You want the PVP gear that has Valor on it, the damage mitigation is very important for PVP.

• Colso says:

quoting to his guide, he is using that ones for the runes:

[quote]Recommended Runes

* Helm: Strength +10 (Radiant Potent)
      * Shoulders: Dexterity +10 (Radiant Deft)
      * Chest: Valor +74 (Blazing Valorous), Valor +38 (Radiant Valorous), Endurance +8 (Radiant Resolute) or Dexterity +10 (Radiant Deft)
      * Gloves: Physical Crit +11 (Radiant Steadfast)
      * Legs: Strength +10 (Radiant Potent)
      * Boots: Endurance +8 (Radiant Resolute)
      * 1H Weapon: Physical Crit +16 (Radiant Destructive) or Dexterity +10 (Blazing Dexterity)
      * 2H Weapon: Physical Crit +30 (Radiant Devastating) or Dexterity +19 (Blazing Dexterity)
      * Shield: Endurance +8 (Brilliant Enduring)
      * Ranged: Physical Crit +16 (Radiant Destructive) or Dexterity +10 (Blazing Dexterity)[/quote]

@Taugrim: That leads me to another question. Which kind of greater essences are you using? I have currently the health on block and the deathdmg/health on melee abilities. And which kind of lesser essences are you using?

Corrupting Faesource
        Crystallized Stonesource

• Colso says:

taugrim :Which kind of greater essences are you using? I have currently the health on block and the deathdmg/health on melee abilitiesCorrupting FaesourceCrystallized StonesourcePlease note that the damage/health one AFAIK only applies for Physical abilities and is therefore not a great fit for Riftblade.

Sounds logical, just took it because you said “I play my Riftblade as a MDPS with ranged capability” ;)

And considering the lesser essences?

38. Blitz says:

Best you can indeed do, is to make a pattern for your abilities and keybindings.

My personal are usually like this:

Q for Quick spell (Healers quick heal or nukers quick nuke)
    F as FLEEEEEE! For snarebreak etc.
    B as some “buff” that i can put up midfight, like bubble.
    R for Rapid (something that buffs my abilities and is on CD usually) used it for Rapid Shot in WoW and using it for that ever since:P
    Alt+F for knockbacks or other ways to get people off my back, it’s this “f%ck off!” button:P
    G for damage shield or something that keeps me alive etc:P
    E for main spammable with 3 usually on big nuke or finisher

And then ALT modifiers for most keys, such as alt+q for usually silence+disrupt and alt+r for alternative boost etc.

And indeed it’s most easy to remember your keybindings for every mmo if you use the letter on keyboard with something that you can connect with ingame:P

39. Saleka says:

Hey Taugrim, I just wanted to say a big massive thank you for your very detailed and comprehensive guide. I’ve been asking questions and looking around for AGES how people manage to be so versatile and mobile in PvP and this is exactly what I was looking for, now I know how.

I’ve put your guide in to practise and I can already see myself dominating much better with my Rogue, mages used to be able to kite around me and break my LoS when I would use WASD to move but now using the mouse I can make sure I’m always facing them and always get the skills in that I need to.

Thank you again!!!

Thank you again!!!

You are very welcome!

This video took longer than any other I’ve made, so I’m glad to hear it was helpful :)

40. aScMixed says:

can you put what spells are on what keys specifically? i dont know wat spell is a single target finisher for 4,5 i would like to know what specific spells you use for the riftblade warrior on this setup

41. Deafrl says:

what movement of A key what is gap close? move forward?

I put abilities such as Bull Rush, Riftwalk, etc in a macro that I bind to my “A” key. These abilities close the distance to a target from range.

42. Dan says:

I’ve loved your site thus far, just thought I’d let you know.

However, I cannot manage to grasp this thing. I cannot use my keys to cast and move. I’m just no good at it. Do you have any tips on a way I can get better at this? Up to this point, I’ve always just clicked my skills/spells and done pretty decently. But I know I would do much better if I could learn to use the keyboard more.

43. taugrim says:

Dan :

TLDR: practice in PVE until you get used to it (or duels with friends), then try it in PVP.

You are transitioning from clicking abilities with your mouse to keypressing them, so don’t get discouraged! It takes a lot of time to re-learn and get the muscle memory down.

Just keep practicing, and don’t be satisfied with falling back into your old habits. You’ll reach a tipping point – and it may take a week or two, and then you’ll start to turn the corner.

Let us know how it goes!

• Dan says:

After going at it for a few hours now, I seem to be getting better at it. I still get my keys mixed up and end up standing still for a long time, but I am seeing progress. Unfortunately it’s difficult to kite with me level 15 warrior because I pretty much only have 1 ranged attack. I am doing better with my rogue though. At what level do I get a no cooldown, instant cast skill for my warrior? It’d be extremely useful, and would boost my progress a ton, I think.

44. taugrim says:

Dan :

Good to hear :)

Keep at it – later you’ll be thankful you put in the time to learn a new control setup.

Dan :

It depends what your spec is for Warrior.

Given that you have a Rogue, my advice is to spec that Rogue as Marksman and practice kiting. MM is a terrific kiting spec. Once you have the hang of it, you should find kiting easier on your Warrior.

If you haven’t watched this already, here’s a video of my MM Rogue in Black Garden 10-19:

• Dan says:

I think I’ve watched just about all your videos, actually. But that’s what I did, practiced with my rogue. My Warrior’s spec is the spec that “you settled on” after 1.2. But only up to level 15. It’s RB/PAL.

I’ve got circle strafing down for the most part, but I can only do it efficiently when I use 2/3 attacks, trying to use anymore attack keys than that, makes me lose it. And for the actual kite strafing, I cannot pull it off yet. Although I’m not quite sure what a perfect kite looks like.

45. Jaeryn says:

Hey Tauugrimm, Im rather disappointed that you pretty much left WoW to play Rift, because I always viewed you as a good pvp player and I’ve learned to play Prot really good from you. Now that they sort of nerfed us I’m stuck in a question if I should continue Prot cause it isnt that viable anymore. I really do wish you do play but nonetheless after watching this video I just want to ask if this is similar key binds to your wow character?

46. Jason says:

Hey Taugrim,

Great video. You know, coming from the FPS world, Rift is my first ever MMO experience (ya, I know..hehe).
    Anyway, the WASD were standard/are in modern day FPS. I quickly learned with MMO’s, bindings and setup was going to be key. I am still learning but have a long way to go.

If I understand this correctly, and looking at your layout. You use the mouse buttons, both pressed down to move forward. You use W and R for strafing, with your ring finger on W and your index finger on R. That sound correct? I have not read all the comments here, but you dont move backwards much correct? I like the video where you show that you dont turn your back on the enemy and you can block. With that, you dont use a ‘back key’? Curious how to you did that. I need to practice.

Really really good stuff. I know I will have to practice as I have other questions.
    I play a mix of the callings, but mostly Cleric, Warrior and Rogue, and I think this setup would really help me out.

Only thing I was curious about was when heal as a cleric in dungeon, raid, WF or PVP.
    Going to watch this video again, and test it out. Much appreciated for all the hard work.

Cheers,

Jason

47. dhave says:

hi there, love your guide.

what keybinding do you use for target next enemy on keyboard?

I am new to Rift and trying paladin/rift guide. Is that still viable?

cheers

dave

48. Hey Taugrim.
    Followed your blog for awhile. Also ran into you a few times on Sunrest (Defiant Rogue) during some PvP rifts.

Anyway, had a question. I started to use this keyboard setup and find it helpful. My only real question is, when you are strafing, say to the right, so you are holding down R, what finger do you use? I know that sounds silly, but I ask because all the keys around R have something bound to it. I have abilities bound to T, F, G, 4, 5 etc. and what I am finding out is, if I am strafing and holding down R, there are a lot of times, I need to fire off an ability that maybe bound to T,F,G,4 or 5. Since I use my index finger to hold down R, how do I reach those other ability keys? I hope that makes sense. So what happens is I have to let go of R, hit the other key, then back on R.

Seems a little awkward so wasn’t sure if you run into the same thing, or you worked out a method to alleviate this.

Great blog and notes man. I enjoy it greatly.

Cheers,
    Jason

jasonwilliamsason :

Hey Taugrim.

Which Rogue is yours, and what Rank are you?

jasonwilliamsason :

I strafe with W (ring finger) and R (index finger).

For the reason you mentioned, I find it easier to strafe left so that I can use the abilities that I activate with my middle finger or index finger.

49. […] your retreat with your snare, knockback, and movement-removing abilities. If you are newer to kiting, check out my Guide on that […]

50. […] you are looking for information on how to kite / strafe, check out my Guide on Strafing / Kiting and let me know if you have any […]

51. Josh says:

So, in SWTOR, if your having to change your guard target on the fly, how do you get around this since you cannot use the mouse to pick targets.

52. taugrim says:

Josh :

Use Function key targeting. Or click the raid frame for the player.

53. Sean says:

Hi. Been following you since you started doing the SWTOR vids and i changed all my keybinds for the beta weekend after years of clicking while playing casually on wow. I actually want to be good at pvp in tor. I spent all day friday and saturday using your keybinds and decided that i couldnt do it and went back to the old setup only to find that my muscle memory kept bringing me back to your keybind setup.

I found that my fingers kept getting lost when things got hectic so ive put textured tape on the w and r key so I can always find them, worked a treat.

Sean :

That last tip is pro. Texture helps.

Learning new keybindings takes a lot of time!

I tell people to realistically expect a week before they feel muscle-memory competent with a new setup, because it’s unlearning what they may have been using for years as a gamer.

You are trying this at a great time IMO. New game + leveling characters from 1-10 in the newbie zone is an excellent opportunity to learn a new system of keybindings.

54. Matt says:

I’ve been using a unique system for years that I thought i’d share with you. I like to have complete control of my character, and dislike builds that make it hard for me to do pretty much anything and everything while being able to strafe in either direction while jumping or moving backwards. The idea of this setup is to map as much as possible to keys that can be easily used with the thumb or pinky while also opening up multiple hotbars worth of abilities that can be pressed without ever needing to lose precious seconds clicking with your mouse.

First thing i do is immediately remap the movement keys from WASD to EDSF. This opens up more keys for easy use. I can now hit QAZX easily with my pinky while still allowing the middle 3 fingers to always be available for movement. I prefer to keep all 4 movement directions bound so that i can use my mouse for on screen actions if necessary (clicking on distant targets and so on).

I then bind everything past the 6 key to things around EDSF but avoid using W, R, or G for reasons i’ll explain soon. Best keys for use here are QAZBVTCX. If you have big hands, N and H can be thrown in.

Now this is where it gets unique. I bind R to scroll to the next hotkey bar, W to scroll back one hotkey bar, and G to hotbar 1. The idea here being that in combat I can easily get to any other hotbars with a quick touch of W or R. G is bound to hotbar 1 because I sometimes found in a hectic situation that I could end up on a hotbar other than my main and have to spend 2 seconds figuring out whether I had to flip up or down a bar. G is basically a universal reset to your main bar.

At first, this sounds counter productive because things can now require multiple key presses. However, once one gets used to it, it opens up a LOT of easy to get to hotkeys. I like to put my AEs and movement stuff back one bar. So say I need to hit a sprint ability or something. In under a second I can easily just hit WV to use the ability, then follow it immediately with G to reset me to bar one, ready for action. Oh, what’s this? I need to use that melee ability I rarely use on my ranged guy? RBG. It takes a little gettin used to, but once you do you can have as many easy to reach hotkeys as you basically have hotbars. It is still quite easy to hit RRA in a fraction of a second when you need something two hotbars away if your class really has a silly amount of abilities.

Doesn’t take long at all before you have all your stuff on 3 or more different hotbars in muscle memory and can hit absolutely any ability you own in milliseconds without ever having to click an ability with your mouse.

55. Zagz says:

Years ago I met a man who slapped me as a young kid and called me a nubbin, he took my keyboard and he shoved it to the left. I cried!, I didn’t know why he did this, he then placed my hand apon the middle of the keyboard and said ” Son, why would you use the right side of the keyboard, when you child could use the center!” I had a epiphany at that moment, and this is why I Use TFH movement, F and H to strafe. Its a rough transition but if you can manage to do it you have the power of the entire keyboard at your hands, and can still alt bind like a champ :D

TTYL!
    Zagz

Zagz :

TTYL!
      Zagz

That’s genious :D

Was going to ask you to post that here, after getting your TwitchTV message.

56. tony says:

This is very helpful thanks.

One question I have is how you target players and swap targets during combat. If you are using the mouse for movement I assume you can not move forward and mouse click to target at the same time. If you use “target closest/next target” keys, what keys do you bind them to?

tony :

Tab target, or mouse click on a player if needed.

57. Kevin says:

Any advice for us left handies? Would you use the same layout? Currnetly I use the arrow keys next to the numberpad for movement but I don’t think it’s the best layout.

58. […] Check his recent videos for some Shadow leveling and PVP. He also made an amazing guide to Strafing, Movement, and Keybinds. If nothing else, you should definitely check out that […]

59. Shaakoo says:

Just wondering…Read the guide, watched the video’s, makes allot of sense and thx…

Would it be possibly for you to throw up a couple of minutes of video, with the camera on your left hand, to see the actual keybinds in practice.

For those of us that are transitioning to keybinds, a visual of it in action would be priceless ( well for me anyways ).

If not, totally understand… :)

( If this already exists, appologies for not finding it…)

Shaakoo :

If not, totally understand… :)

( If this already exists, appologies for not finding it…)

Hi Shaakoo,

Several people have asked on my stream for a camera to point to my hand while playing.

Your giving me this feedback is helpful in terms of knowing what people are looking for in terms of helpful content.

Right now I have a longgggg list of really critical content that I need to put up by the end of December, so those items will take precedence.

At some point if I can afford a 2nd webcam (e.g. for streaming) and/or have the time to just record my hands while playing, I’ll try to do it.

Thanks,
      Taugrim

• Kangas Collective says:

Yes to your finger gymnastic Cam!

Bravo Taugrim! Came here from your inspiring lv16 Huttball vid.

Troubleshooting my own challenges adopting this:

* PvE: Tight clumps of multiple adds -> Solution is tighter circles and spins?

* PvE: Tight corridors and nowhere to go side to side, or lots of moving from quest to quest -> Solution is a mouse-bound auto-run button? (I also bound the map overlay and esc to my mouse buttons for pve questing)

* PvE: Raid rooms with nasty environmental obstacles like mines, lava, poison clouds, ledges -> You said you sometimes revert to arrow keys :( Guess I can accept that. You’re really in a different movement mode at those times.

* Need to hit skill with Stafing finger -> Solution is getting used to R (counterclockwise) when hitting 1,2,3 or Q and moving with W (clockwise) when hitting 4,5,6,T keys?

(Is this another reason you don’t use full auto in your Huttball video?)

Kangas Collective :

(Is this another reason you don’t use full auto in your Huttball video?)

Yes, for Vanguard / Powertech for the middle trees (Tactics, Advanced Prototype), our best damage is at 0-10m, so you have to get into short-range of your opponents.

Full Auto / Unload is a channeled ability and therefore a self-root, it can be interrupted, and the damage is delayed.

For the spec I’m playing FA / U just doesn’t make sense from a mechanics standpoint.

60. Shaakoo says:

Thanks for the reply and totally understand… :)

Look forward to this new content… :)

61. Trey Alsup says:

In the spirit of this thread I would encourage you to get a mouse that takes advantage of some thumb buttons. It doesn’t have to be a NAGA- though I’m trying it now (and finding it small in my hand)

Is your right thumb doing anything currently?

Personally I have 2 thumb buttons and I use one for push-to-talk and the other for auto-run.

I find that using a thumb button for push to talk doesn’t interfere with anything else I normally do with a mouse and avoids all the problems with voice activation- especially when one is eating….

Trey Alsup :

Understood.

I made the conscious decision a couple years ago not to use a gaming mouse, to show people it ain’t required for high-level play.

As is often the case, I’m going against popular opinion because I believe it’s incorrect.

There’s a difference between saying

“I don’t use a gaming mouse”

to

“yes I do have a gaming mouse but don’t use it for most things because it’s not necessary and fix the default keybinds while you’re at it”

The former is a much more compelling argument.

62. Castlemaine says:

I like that keybind setup, slightly different to what Im used to using, I’m going to try it out, I replaced my standard left and right, with strafe left and strafe right in SWTOR, did not feel right to me, any thoughts on this.

63. Pent says:

I like to use middle mouse for auto-run in every MMO, you spend most of your time moving, so why not?

64. Metzgerov says:

Your Taugrim Dojo of Zen PVP is making too many people better PVP’rs. :(

At least this will make for some more strategic battles which is what I am looking forward to.

Keep up the brilliant work! Thanks for all your efforts.

65. Mazzic says:

Just a simple tip if you’re trying to get into left side keybinding and are having issues with finger positioning. Stick a sticker, something adhesive whatever, onto important keys, or in a position that helps you have a by touch reference to where your fingers are on the keyboard.

As Taugrim mentioned most manufacturers do put a bump on the F and J keys, but in my case they’re worn down a bit. I also tend to work a smidge farther left than he does as I utilize the ~ key as well as some shift clicking, so it really worked as a good trick for me to learn proper finger placement, and helped me to avoid looking down at the keyboard during fights, which some of us do, and is a bad habit.

Mazzic :

Awesome tip, thanks for sharing it :)

66. DeadStretch says:

I have a question. I am new to PC gaming and have been a console gamer all my life. I am having a rough time period adjusting to M+Kb so my question to you is fairly simple.

Should I start out learning the default setups of games that way M+Kb becomes for comfortable or should I mess around with various keybindings?

I shall note I play a variety of genres but mostly 3rd Person Shooters, RPGs, Action and Platformers/Shoot Em’ Ups.

Thanks for any help in advance. I would also just like to say that your stream, videos and overall willingness to help anyone who would listen is greatly appreciated!

-Stretch

DeadStretch :

I don’t recommend learning the default setup for most games, as I mentioned the default setup makes no sense for enabling skillful play.

I would recommend that you start experimenting right from the get-go, until you can find a setup that let’s you achieve the 3 major points I mentioned in the Guide:

2. enable high fidelity / accuracy for using abilities quickly, and
      3. not give you carpal tunnel :)

67. Tasten says:

Hey there Taugrim. I’m looking to adopt your key setup but I have a few concerns about it in regards to PVP healing. A “good” healer typically can heal and help DPS however traditionally you end up with a lot of keys to bind. In your opinion how would you modify your existing set up? Or would you? By the time i’m done by keys tend to look like a cluster $%^ and I’m all over the place, so I’m hoping to get some help to clean it up and be mroe streamlined.

68. WheezingTHC says:

Hey Taugrim:
    good advice, i am surprise at the number of people that actually never binds their keys just from reading your reply. I have always bound my keys, however i do so to get rid of using the mouse during most pvp. I keep the movment keys the same and use my num pad as my skill binding buttons. I use everything except for numlock key (for good reason) and switched auto run to the delete key. when kiting i just use both A and E key or Q and D key (depending on which way i am circle strafing of course) The upside to this technique is your movements are all controlled by one hand while your skills are all closer together. the downside is in rare moments when tab targeting fails or a right click activating objective appears you have to move your hand away from the key pad losing precious seconds to your rotation. oh i should probably mention that i use the 1 – 5 keys above WASD for big cool downs as well. For any who likes the idea of key binding but dreads using the mouse feel free to try this setting out, gives your game a somewhat super nintendo feel if you will.

69. doe791 says:

While I would never diss a player who uses Taugrim’s controls, I believe that keeping WASD is slightly superior. My method will feel like a natural progression to whoever has played a lot of FPS. It’s been tried and tested for 1000’s of hours of raiding and PvPing. Under one variation or another, it is also probably the one that is used the most by top level players. Here’s how it goes.

W – Forward
    S – Backward
    A – Strafe Left
    D – Strafe Right

Turn Left and Turn Right are unbound because I turn with the mouse, of course (hold Mouse 2).

All of my abilities have a key binding. The keys I use are:

(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
    (q, e, r, t, y)
    (f, g)
    (z, x, c, v)

I use Shift and Ctrl variations for all of these keys and I have 4 extra mouse buttons. This
    gives me a very large pool of keybindings which I have never exhausted for any MMO. The extra bindings (6 in all) that freeing W (Forward) and S (Backward) would confer are redundant.

I press W with my middle finger, A with my ring finger and D with my index. Every other bindings are effortlessly available around this configuration without having to ever stop movement.

This setup will perform every manoeuvres in the videos with ease. I should point out that I never use Backward to create distance either.

At this point, we are even. Both Taugrim and my FPS style controls do essentially the same things.

The only real difference is that I kept Forward and Backward. I feel that this confers me an advantage in particular with the use of Free Look.

Free Look (hold Mouse 1) is huge for situational awareness in both raiding and PvP. If Taugrim wants to Free Look, he only has two directions of movement on 1 axis remaining (Strafe Left or Right). I have 8 on 2 axis (left, right, forward, backward and their diagonals). While you never want to be in Free Look mode for more than a second if you are moving franticly (because you can’t rotate your character), having more “keyboard” mobility can really make a difference when, say, you are trying to stay on a target in PvP, or you are escaping through obstacles and need to snap a look behind you in a boss encounter.

I also kept Backward for general micro adjustments to my position. If you wish to go straight back for 2 to 5 yards with Taugrims control, you need to turn your camera 90 degrees and then press Strafe. With my controls, I just press Backward. This is faster on this scale and I am able to keep my focus on whatever I was looking at.

Overall, WASD gives you more quality of life at no real cost.

Finally, I once tried ESDF but pressing Shift, Ctrl and Tab was too much of a strain for my pinkie and it didn’t provide any more effective bindings since my keybinding pool is sufficiently large.

doe791 :

W – Forward
      S – Backward
      A – Strafe Left
      D – Strafe Right

How do you move diagonally forward?

From what I read, you have to use two fingers on your left hand, which limits your ability to press the keys in the real estate around your left hand.

• doe791 says:

Most of my prime real estate is under my index finger. So, yes, if I want to move diagonally forward to the right, I have to lift my index finger to activate a prime ability. But this happens only as often as the Global Cool Down and it is further alleviated with an ability queue system like Rift had.

For this reason, I always favor my left side for movement since I can still do a diagonal forward (to the left) and activate an ability with my index finger. For example, if I’m tanking a boss and I need to prepare to move, then I will position myself to do a Strafe Left when the time comes to move. This ties down my ring finger but I still have my middle and index finger for abilities and movement correction (and my mouse to rotate my character or use Free Look). I circle strafe to the left in PvP for the same reason although I mix it up.

I will concede that keeping Forward and Backward will make controls slightly more expensive and require a bit more finger gymnastics. Ultimately, what works for someone will make the biggest difference in how they play the game.

70. joe towns says:

Thank you for the excellent guide. I love the way you are able to move and position yourself while you are attacking. You are probably one of the most strategic pvpers I have ever watched. Im trying to use mostly keybings in TOR and I have come across 2 big issues that I hope you can solve.

First, how do you handle strafing while attacking, finger wise? For example, which fingers would you use to strafe right so that you could still use abilities to the right of the strafe key on the keybord. Also what fingers would you then use to quickly switch to left strafing while still hitting abilities to the left of the strafe key on the keyboard? Do you just use your middle finger only for strafing?

joe towns :

I only have 1 strafe key pressed at a time.

Left strafe = ring finger, so I have my pinky / middle / index fingers available for keybinds

Right strafe = index finger, so I have my pinky / ring / middle fingers available for keybinds

71. Testy says:

Taugrim, thanks for this and all your work – rewarding and challenging. Moving with mouse (and not awsd) is revolutionary for me! I’ve watched your work on gamebreaker too, but still pretty confused. Could you do a post/tutorial on targeting? That is, how do you:

a) target mobs in PvE; and
    b) target enemies in PvP

while strafing (and in general)?

Do you:

a) use mouse and click;
    b) use a bound key; or
    c) use some kind of auto-target?

This may seem really elementary but I can’t figure it out (Could you do in context of SWtOR? Never played Rift and a bit of a n00b :$)!

Testy

Testy :

Could you do a post/tutorial on targeting? That is, how do you:

a) target mobs in PvE; and
      b) target enemies in PvP

while strafing (and in general)?

Do you:

a) use mouse and click;
      b) use a bound key; or
      c) use some kind of auto-target?

Answer is usually “b” (Tab key with pinky) and sometimes I left mouse click a specific target.

• Testy says:

Thanks Taugrim. That’s actually what I intuitively went for (tab with pinky)… feels very awkward to a mouse click awsd n00b… guess I have to practice my muscle memory!!! ;D

72. Valentus says:

After a day or two of using the number row and W & R for strafing, I find moving those abilities down and using S & F works out better for a couple of reasons:

The spam ability on the E key is more centered compared to using the 3, which makes the default position more comfortable and feeling less constrained when trying to strafe and press it. That way I also have 2 more keys that are relatively easy to hit with my middle finger.

Having two rows above your strafe keys seems much more preferable than having two below and subsequently being covered up by your hand. I’d rather be reaching up two rows than curling my fingers back two rows down.

My main annoyance now is with tab targeting and finding a way to switch targets quickly. I’m beginning to wonder if a Razer Naga isn’t such a bad idea.

• Torathin says:

I use both a Nostromo and a Razor Naga.

I find the Nostromo irreplaceable. I find the Naga not so useful.

I’ve been trying to use the key binds as suggested in this post, but in many key cases it’s awkward to simultaneously strafe and press crucial keys. As an example, you are strafing to the left (W) using your ring finger, how can you hit the 2 or S? It’s possible using your pinky or middle finger but awkward.

With the Nostromo my thumb is able to cover all directional moving, and I’ve bound “14” as the jump to avoid having to take my thumb off the directional stick.

However with all this said, I’ve taken the general advice in this thread and remapped my Nostromo so that I have my Damage and CC in the general arrangement that Taugrim suggests. So far it’s working very well for me.

As for the Naga, I use the thumb buttons only for convenience actions (map, inventory, quest log, autorun etc).

• Kangas Collective says:

Well, what I like about W & R is while you’re still in “home row”, in the heat of action your q W e R t y becomes your temporary home row, with 1 2 3 4 5 6 conveniently close to strafe keys for my spammable skills.

Valentus :

That makes sense. Stick with what works for you.

Valentus :

Tab targeting works fine for me in most situations, although in some select cases for speed of targeting I’ll click a particular target.

73. DrG says:

I am curious about your movement setup mainly because I have tried it and my biggest problem was being unable to mouse click and not being able to use middle mouse key to push-to-talk on ventrillo. Any ideas on how to solve that problem?

Also the tab targetting in star wars is horrendous and frustrating, it feels as if I’m not entirely facing targets I can’t cycle. The mouse clicking is even worse, I can usually click a target alot faster than any global cooldowns and be strafing, moving at the same time. In swtor I literally have stopped moving and spammed my mouse key out of frustration that I can’t target someone.
    It is frustrating because I am used to being able to fully switch from enemy targets to friendlies easily by using the mouse.

Another question and reason I haven’t gotten into moving using the two mouse buttons, I constantly pan my camera, is it in your opinion not neccessary? I’ve always felt it is however I’m tempted to not pan as much if it might help my forward movement problem.

P.S. don’t use backwards key but I do use sef for movement.

DrG :

You can map push-to-talk to whatever is comfortable for. I personally disable push-to-talk, set my Vent sensitivity accordingly, and use an off switch on my mic when I don’t want it to pick up sounds.

DrG :

Hmmm, it feels the same to me in SWTOR as in any game.

DrG :

I pan the camera a ton, you can see this is my videos.

How I do it is strafe while holding left mouse button down to camera turn. That’s one way of doing it.

74. I just put together a spreadsheet analyzing the abilities of the Sawbones Scoundrel and put together a keybind system based on what you have here. I still had to use Shift and Control, but that’s limited, and it’ll be even better if they ever implement a stealth bar. After adding “Throw Huttball”, the speeder, pvp medpacs, regular medpacs, stimpacs, and adrenals, I ended up having 48 abilities I needed to keybind. That’s all 4 hotbars! SWTOR needs more hotbars…

Here is the spreadsheet:

I’d love to hear any comments you have.

75. Nick says:

I like this setup.however what if you are straffing right and need TY6 or straffing left and need Q12? I guess any setup that has any movement on the keyboard will have this issue.

The idea I was toying with is puting strafe on the mouse 5 & 6 buttons a bit radical and I am not sure how comfy it would be.

Nick :

That is a valid point. If I need to strafe right *and* hit T, Y, or 6, I flip hips, strafe sideways and hit those abilities.

That is, to strafe right, you don’t have to strafe right. You can turn your facing 180 degrees and strafe left, which takes you to the right per your original facing.

76. zeke says:

please make a swtor version

77. Ontel says:

What do you have set up up on your mouse? Auto run, vent ect..

78. Peter says:

Great guide! I play a Powertech (ShieldTech) in Swtor and was wondering how you this would adapt to that. Maybe I’m wrong, but there seem to be more bottons committed to defense in RIFT than SWTOR options, as well as things like regen, sprint, etc. Can you do a quick rundown for us SWTOR guys???

79. Kupke says:

Hi Taugrim,

Your guide made me rethink my setup and its limitations, so I intend to do an overhaul on my key setup as well. What i’m wondering is though, you seem to use left+right click to move forward. One of the key skills in some Shadow specs in SWTOr is Force In Balance (instant casted aoe ground effect), how do you go about casting these kinds of skills or clicking targets on the move (you posted before that you sometimes click targets) while you’re on the move?

80. taugrim says:

Kupke :

In that case, I hit Auto-run and target with the mouse.

81. Neffrey says:

I like that you put this up. I developed my own layout that has a similar idea behind it.

I still move with wasd (With my ring finger on w.) I played piano so it works for me. 2 mouse buttons, qertg, and 1 – 5 house all of my skills.

TL; DR

A uniform keybind layout is AMAZING. If Taugrims isn’t for you then make your own.! :D

Neffrey :

Exactly.

You don’t need to copy what I’ve done. The main thing is to not be limited by what a game has by default.

82. ApHero says:

It’s an amazing and very sound guide… I’ve never pvp’ed before and after watching your video on the combat medic for swtor I really wanted to give it a go… but I can’t figure out for the darnedest how to change the key bindings for movement to the mouse.

83. ApHero says:

wow i feel like an idiot.. it does that already… going to go practice now

• Testy says:

Dont worry @ApHero I made the same mistake :)

@Taugrim – what I love about your guides is that you pitch them so the n00bie can understand, yet they still have a lot of depth to them… please keep it up :)

84. Eric@meandyou.com says:

New to MMOs after 7 years of wife and babies killing my gaming life. now that everyone is back on a Sleep schedule I am free to take up my keyboard and mouse for late night gaming! Thank you for this, it seams so simple and I have been trying for days to figure out a setup that would work for me. now if I can just figure out what CC and DPS and AOE mean I can’t beat the crap out of some foul mouth kids in PvP. (just kidding… a little)

Eric@meandyou.com :

CC = Crowd Control, e.g. stuns, roots, silences, etc
      DPS = Damage Per Second, or a term commonly used to refer to damaging abilities or specs
      AOE = Area of Effect, e.g. a grenade explosion

85. Ok i’ve tried and tried and tried to get used to something new, but I just can’t get used to NOT using the WASD and QE block for moving and strafing. My hands just sit there on a keyboard naturally, and i’ve used those keys for gaming for more years than many players have been alive!

Unfortunately the pretty much wipes out 90% of the keybinds, so I don’t know what to do :(

I’ve really enjoyed my dip into learning to PvP in SWTOR, but without a good keybind setup I know i’m gimping myself.

John VanderbeckAgathorn :

“You must unlearn what you have unlearned”
      – Yoda

It’s hard to break down muscle memory, but until you do, you’ll be seriously limiting yourself.

Years ago I played with WSAD. Then I moved to EDSF. Neither comes remotely to what I’m using now.

86. Daeris says:

Nice stuff. I’m currently in the testing stages where I need to stay committed to learning the system. I may switch strafing up to the S and F keys, as I’ve seen elsewhere in here. I have slightly longer fingers, so I think having the two rows above my strafe buttons would be more beneficial to having two beneath it.

Have you played a Smuggler Gunslinger in SW:TOR. I haven’t played any other classes yet, but I feel like the Gunslinger has some crazy skill bloat. Other than my damage abilities, it’s hard for me to decide where my CC, Defense, and Heal Consumables will go. With SW:TOR, do you have any additional tips to add, or is it pretty much just the same concept?

Daeris :

Ya that’s fine, whatever you are comfortable with.

Daeris :

Yes, I have played both GS and Sniper.

All classes in SWTOR have a lot of abilities, it’s part of what makes the combat dynamic and the game challenging in terms of managing your keybinds.

It’s the same concept regardless of game.

87. Ganesh says:

Just wanted drop by to say thank you very much, and keep up the great work. Really enjoying SWTOR PvP as an Tanksassin with your keybind setup. I made the character as an alt to learn your keybinds and it ended up becoming my main because I quickly grew in skill as a pvper mainly due to the switch. Took me about 3 days of regular play to get comfortable, so its not too painful to switch.

FYI – found you via Gamebreaker TV.

Confession time, Im 31 and I was a clicker till December 2011. Nowadays I send all my guildies/friends to your site when they ask me about PvP stuff. Your videos are great, I learn something new each time. Thanks again, the least I can do is leave a tip for all your tips:)

PS – I hope you roll a shadow/assassin after your sentinel so I can learn more skills!:)

Ganesh :

Glad to hear your new keybinds have improved your gameplay :)

Ganesh :

I appreciate your spreading the word about my content.

And I just rolled a Sentinel last night, so once I get him to 10+ I’ll be streaming with him.

88. Maxyim says:

Hey Taugrim, very cool post, glad to see such a nice guide for people to get their act together.

I have been using my own bindings for something like 10 years now over several games. I have made a few changes over the years, such as unbinding backpedal, moving interrupt, and getting away from the number keys. Essentially, it is as follows;

a/w/d = strafe / forward / strafe (I feel that forward is necessary with left hand as it can hit combinations of a+w and a+d for precise control)
    ` (tilde on most keyboards) = autorun; I toggle this often to free up the need for forward key
    s = stealth or similar essential class skill
    q / e = spam
    r = interrupt (fastest key within reach)
    z = break CC
    c = finisher
    v = opener
    f = snare
    x = short-duration self-buff (slice and dice, stim boost)
    n = high CD short duration self-buff
    1 = low-demand ability (currently Throw Huttball)
    4 = stun

I then place the rest of the abilities in fitting keys, using shift + core keys as needed / common sense; for instance, shift + c for a different finisher, shift + s for stealth boost. These shift-modifier abilities are quite simply quicker to use when you use the a/w/d keys as opposed to the w/r keys as the little finger has a stronger position. Granted, the w/r config has a few more keys, but it is very easy to fill 4-5 toolbars of abilities these days in MMOs, particularly when you include consumables, trinkets/relics, etc.

What do you think about this, and how would you suggest I improve? Is it really that big of a deal to retrain myself to move forward with mouse instead of keyboard?

• Maxyim says:

I did not reference any mouse buttons; silly me. This really depends on the mouse, but in general, the right hand is not going to be as fast as the left hand because it is also moving around slightly; I tend to use the mouse buttons I have available on non-direct damage core rotation abilities that are cast at fixed intervals).

Also, in WoW, I made use of macros to remove the need for certain keys (for instance, had stealth bound with autoattack). SWTOR also has the distinct lack of a stealth bar, which is actually growing on me as it gives more control (don’t ever have to worry about any ability being unreachable because it’s just not on your current bar). In any case, it is possible that, down the road, we will be able to condense the need for shift+modifiers. Of course, then there are companion abilities which can also be bound…

Maxyim :

Thanks, I enjoy sharing information and teaching / mentoring others.

Maxyim :

Are you able to move forward while strafing, and activate abilities?

If yes, you’re fine.
      If not, you might want to sort out how you can do that.

89. Kanyin says:

Please explain how you move foward and target someone at the same time.

Kanyin :

Please explain how you move foward and target someone at the same time.

Tab key while mouse buttons depressed.

Even if you don’t, you can still do any of the following:
      – strafe and target with mouse
      – autorun and target with mouse
      – bind move forward and target with mouse.

90. Kanyin says:

Those answers should highlight how its not really applicable to move with the mouse in most instances. Directional movement should almost always be key presses. You need at minimum forward, and both strafes bound. You can do away with backpedal and use hold right click(M2) to turn but using hold left click(M1) to run forward is not optimal as you have to have 2 different methods to perform a single action. You cannot run forward and target someone at the same time without using another binding to move. You need a mouse that has at least M4 to use your thumb to move forward to be able to gain an advantage of key space over someone using a keyboard to move forward. M4 bound to move forward would allow you to target with M1, freeing up your traditional W key finger. This is easier to understand if you try to play a FPS game with move forward bound to M1. It’s awful. You need to tell them what buttons on the mouse to bind to movement. Other than that explanation, good article for people new to key binds.

Kanyin :

If you want to believe mouse movement is not the right way to go, there’s nothing I can say that will change your opinion.

I have no problems with moving with the mouse and Tab’ing quickly to the correct target, or click-targeting as needed.

But stick with keyboard movement and gaming mouses if that is what works for you – the suggestions I make are not for everyone.

91. Testy says:

Thanks Taugrim, your humble guidance has really revolutionised my MMO gaming the past couple of months :)

Re the issue of targeting, I too had a real problem. What works for me is binding mouse wheel scroll up/down with target next/nearest enemy. I also use a Nostromo with its own wheel, so I can scroll easily with either hand. Can also use tab with next enemy. Haven’t tried auto run with mouse-click yet, sounds novel.

Keep an open mind, don’t knock it till you try it ;)

Testy :

Glad to hear it!

Testy :

Keep an open mind, don’t knock it till you try it ;)

People shouldn’t feel limited by what I do.

The main point of my Guide is to help people understand that the default keybinds don’t support smooth, mobile gameplay and to change people’s mindset in approaching keybinds.

The specific keybinds themselves are not as important as the concepts that direct how you keybind.

How each person configures their rig is based on what they’re comfortable with.

92. marctestart says:

Just to add a really helpful way of adapting your keybinding suggestions to SWTOR that has worked for me…:

Now I keep my left pinky on shift, other four fingers on 1-5, Q-T, A-F. Mouse for movement of course :)

This really allows me a lot of flexibilty and diversity with quickkeys. So for example 1 easily becomes s+1, T becomes s+T and so forth. 12 keys (ie 1-5, Q-T, A-F, minus W and R for strafing of course ;D) become 24 all with the help of lil old pinky on shift! T for example is most commonly used AOE for me, and s+T becomes 2nd-most commonly used AOE. 3 is most common spammer; s+3 second-most common spammer and so-on and so forth. Feel MUCH less like a button masher and MUCH more like a PvPer… Experiment guys :)

Now to deal with those pesky Operatives in Alderan ;)

Testy out.

93. Testy says:

(Actually correction, left thumb on space, the rest as described :))

94. Dirk Hesse says:

Taugrim can you provide us with your keybinding for Powertechs please?

95. Knots says:

Hey Taugrim, I based my new SWTOR keybinds off this guide and after just one PVP Warzone I can already tell how much better it is, thanks for the great guide! Hopefully more in the future. =]

Knots :

Awesome to hear :)

96. Jeremy says:

Hey, Taugrim. I’m really new to keybinding and strafing, and I am really enjoying swtor. I was wondering what you do when deal with a lot of abilites that are not keybinded?

Jeremy :

I don’t keybind everything, just the abilities that seem relevant in PVP.

E.g. the 20-min cooldown when you have your companion to heal both of you is not keybound, because I rarely use it.

For abilities like that, I either set up a modifier (e.g. Ctrl-X) or click it. I’m a huge advocate of not clicking abilities that have high usage or require fast reaction time. But some abilities are really not that critical.

97. Jeremy says:

Ok, thanks for the info. I was also wondering how you would set up your bars for a Jedi Shadow? And also for keybinding do you mostly focus your keybinds in the center bars?

Jeremy :

For SWTOR I have keybinds on all 4 bars. You pretty much have to given the sheer number of abilities.

98. Icalis says:

What keybind do you use to target friendly players? I don’t imagine you click on them.

Icalis :

Depends.

Sometimes F2-F6.
      Sometimes click on their raid frame.
      Sometimes mouse over their party / raid frame, if @mouseover or similar functions are supported in the UI.

• Icalis says:

Thanks for the reply. I’m trying out the Iron Fist build and getting to friendly targets sometimes I’ve just thought clicking was a inconvinence, especially when you are moving around so much in pvp.

99. Daniel says:

Hi Ed,

Thanks for this great info! Usually as a healer not been needed to Kite too much as im mainly at ranged and wanted to try this out :D AWESOMENESS.

Are you still playing in rift atm with this spec after 1.7 or are there any new changes we can expect at all ?

thanks

Jebro (Bloodiron Euro server)

Taugrim on YouTube Taugrim on Patreon Taugrim on Twitter