5-min PUG Huttball Victory

We won this match in 4:59.

Both sides had 50s:

• Republic had 2
  • Empire had 2+

The 50 Sages from <Vendetta> said this was the fastest win for their guild ever. Ditto for me.

To top things off, I had some DIAF- and acid-pull kills :)

I’ve been streaming all day – either PUG or sub-50 premade – and things have gone well. Right now 50s have a faceroll advantage, but sub-50s can still make a difference and outplay 50s.

EDIT (2011/01/12): OK, this wasn’t the fastest Huttball I’ve been a part of. We won in 4:40 in a guild premade back on Jan 1st when I was level 31. But that was a premade and we likely didn’t face multiple 50s.

Posted in Livestream, PVP, SWTOR, Vanguard / Powertech, Video
12 comments on “5-min PUG Huttball Victory
  1. Jehannum says:

Nice one and congrats!

I totally agree about being able to outplay 50s. I’ve been consistently topping the dmg, kills and objective boards with my lvl 10-16 BH Powertech.

Combat-strafing and kite-strafing are key. I learned them from your stream. Stop telling people now. It’s enough. :P

2. Y-Yorle? says:

Congrats!

And here I though I had a pretty quick victory with my team’s 6m-ish victory about a week ago.

We had a few people in the middle getting the ball as it spawned, two people near the opposing team’s goal and a few running in between them. We passed the ball as soon as it spawned to the “runners” while the guys in the middle functioned as a nice distraction for most of the opposing team. If neccessary the runners passed to each other and when possible to the goal people. The only possibly odd thing is that you don’t seem to get many medals for actually scoring. My team mate who scored three times had 2 bronze medals, while I, who was tanking/distracting in the middle topped our team’s list medal-wise. Then again, I guess this is a good thing as it stimulates teamwork more then doing a solo ball run (which is more likely to fail anyway).

p.s. On an off-topic sidenote: Could you perhaps explain how you exactly press some skillbuttons while strafing? For example, when strafing to the right with R, how do you press the 5, 6, T, Y, F and G buttons? Do you switch to strafing to the left to free up your finger? I mean, I see you switching a LOT in video’s (like 2 times a second sometimes) so I was just wondering if that’s the case. Apart from that, thanks for sharing the keybinds, they work wonders for me and feel very natural for me now.

Y-Yorle? :

It turns out a Maven premade back when I was level 31 won Huttball in 4:40 back on Jan 1st.

But there were probably not as many opposing 50s and we had a premade in Vent so to me the victory in the PUG was more impressive.

Y-Yorle? :

Yep, that’s a great strategy for Huttball.

Y-Yorle? :

Gabe Amatangelo in the 1.1 update said that medals would be rewarded based on match mechanics, so hopefully things such as passing, scoring, and killing the EFC will grant medals.

Y-Yorle? :

If I’m strafing right, my index finger is on the 5. That does make it impossible to hit the 6, T-Y, F-H, and V-B keys.

That is part of the reason I’ll flip sides so that I’m strafing left in the same direction I would be strafing right as.

Glad to hear the keybinds are working for you well :)

3. tyler says:

@Y-Yorle
    the way I acomplish this: I use my ring and middle finger on strafe right and left, and that leaves my pinkie and pointer finger available to hit the other keys.

The real key is to keybind. It sounds like you are using the default strafe of R, that ties up your pointer finger and you are forced to do some odd stretches and positions. Taugrim has an article on keybinding that is very informative.

4. Y-Yorle? says:

tyler :

@Y-Yorle

Are you by chance referring to his keybind guide, or perhaps something else? I thought in the keybind guide and/or vid (or somewhere else, might have been Gamebreaker tv) he explained he uses his middle finger to press the spammable skill’s button (3) and his defensive button (E). I automatically assumed he would use his index finger to strafe to the right with R and his ring finger to strafe to the left with W. I am using exactly the same keybind setup as in Taugrim’s tutorial here on his blog, except that I have the E button as walking forward. I find it more convenient being able to keep walking forward in some cases and at the same time being able to click stuff on-screen (say a target out of tab-targetting range).

When you said “default strafe of R” I read it as if you meant this being the default from BioWare. However, the Q and E buttons are the strafing buttons in swtor as far as I know (for my installation of the game at least). Anyways, this confusion I had is the reason is I replied to you. So if I am mixing something up here feel free to correct me and consider this comment in a puff of madness… or something. ^^

taugrim :

@Y-Yorle

Glad to hear the keybinds are working for you well :)

Did you by any chance mean “index finger on the R” instead of 5? Or did you make a new set of keybinds for swtor you’ve yet to share with the world being afraid you’ll loose your advantage??? xD Anyways, I was having a hard time imagening strafing with 5. ^^

But as mentioned in the previous response, maybe I’m having the wrong position of fingers in mind. In any case, I am look forward to when you’ll be able to record how your fingers are positioned and moving about during play. (I know you mentioned in your ‘keybind interview’ buying a second web cam for this purpose. Perhaps I’ll consider putting in a donation so you can actually buy it, because I am darn curious. :P)

Anyways, apologies for the long off topic comments. I’ll try to restrain myself in the future from asking these things in the inappropriate spot. xD

p.s. My apologies if the comment’s layout becomes a tad messed, but I couldn’t seem to find a ‘preview’ function in this WordPress based blog. ^^

5. Steve says:

This has nothing to do with your post, but I was just watching this weeks republic, and knight online was definitely awesome.

6. Namu @ Niman EU says:

I just watched your latest video where you said that you are not taking the ‘Thermal Detonator’ aka ‘Assault Plastique’ when you are playing Trooper because it’s not good enough buff for one spell… only 50% upgrade? Are you mad… you should read your other talents affecting your spells too before deciding to leave it out. Read the talent ‘Assault Trooper’ what I assume you have in your build anyways. So the upgrade for ‘Assault Plastieque’ is actually more than 50% when it crit’s. I have seen around ~3500dmg crit’s going out on players with this one spell with my T2 PVP gear. And this is only without PVP trinket’s and buffs. Now hit trinkets and buffs on just before this baby goes off and you will see just stupid DPS output coming from BH/Troopers. Just sayin.

Reasoning behind this is that I do not see the extra 2second off from the interrupt spell as a must have, since it doesn’t kill whole school of spells. Only one healing/channeling spell out of many. Make sense ?

Here is the build im running in PVE and in PVP:
    -full out dps man, no point wasting points on CC talent’s what doesn’t do any good anyways.

• Namu @ Niman EU says:

Oh right and I do not understand why you buff one spell out of many elemental spells with ‘Frontline Offence’. You only get 6% more to one spell. When from other tree you can get 4% to ALL elemental spells. I guess that was everything I wanted just inform you about.

Namu @ Niman EU :

You need 10 points to get to the 12-pt talent in the 3rd tier of the middle tree.

Namu @ Niman EU :

It’s a boost to the effectiveness of 1 ability that has a 15-second cooldown.

I never said TD / AP sucks.

I simply said that unlike a lot of players, who are very focused strictly on DPS and big crits, I tend to favor builds that have good CC capability.

Killing a healer is much easier IMO when you have an interrupt on a 6-sec cooldown not 8-sec.

If you prefer big crits, good for you. I like big crits too, but I also love having stronger control over my opponents.

Namu @ Niman EU :

Here is the build im running in PVE and in PVP:

For PVP, investing points on CC talents isn’t a waste. LOL :)

• Namu @Niman Eu says:

I would completely understand the idea behind the 2 seconds off from the interrupt, but the fact is that it will interrupt one spell out of many possibilities. So they just change the healing spell and they are doing the same awesomeness as they did before. This is just my reasoning behind it why I do prefer to get the remaining points to shield tech tree (playing as powertech)

• Xereo says:

Namu @Niman Eu :

You are right that it only blocks 1 healing spell out of about 4 maybe 5 depending on the class but if used wisely that 1 interrupt can be devastating. For healers it can throw off their whole rotation and leave them energy starved or stop a key AoE heal and lets face it some players when they get interrupted just stand there like dear in headlights mashing their heal wondering why they are almost dead. Even when facing DPS players interrupts can be a lot more helpful then a big Crit. Take interrupting a commando’s grav round (tracer MISSILE) on his first cast, that just screwed up his opening rotation and saved you from fighting a lot of the fight with a armor rebuff on you. Or when fighting a sage or sorc if you interupt the sages telekinetic throw you remove his possibility of getting his instant cast procs from pressence of mind and take away him spammable skill for them key seconds. All this is what makes interiors highly useable in the game sure they don’t lock out trees but they still are very useful. Just my 2 cents on the discussion :)

– Xereo 50 Sage Vendetta