This HOWTO guide explains how to easily fix the “corrupted version” error when installing / upgrading Allods Online without having to download files manually or from sources you’re not sure are safe.
WHAT THE BROKEN INSTALLATION PROCESS LOOKS LIKE
I tried installing Allods Online (AO) this weekend and ran into a corrupted version problem. Here is what the install process with the corrupted version looks like:
- you run the game downloader and install the game
- you run AO game launcher and you get a notification that you need to upgrade to the latest patch:
- the launcher downloads the patches (~450 MB in my case)
- the launcher installs the patches
- the launcher reports that the “Version is corrupted. Do you want to repair it now?”
- the launcher’s attempt to repair the corrupted version fails, and you see this message:
Unfortunately, the repair page mentioned in the error panel doesn’t help this problem. So what’s wrong with the installation process? You can see from the picture above that the launcher itself (bin/Launcher.exe) is broken, so you need to get the launcher to download a working version of itself.
HOW TO FIX THE CORRUPTED VERSION
Disclaimer: the instructions below worked for me and for other people – but use them at your own risk! I’m not gpotato tech support LOL :)
In a nutshell, the fix for this problem is to rename the launcher program and then run the renamed launcher, so it downloads a working version of itself.
Here’s the process:
- follow steps 1-6 above, but do not try the repair page as suggested. It won’t fix the problem
- go to the game installation’s bin directory (by default, it’s C:\gpotato.com\Allods Online\bin) and rename Launcher.exe to Launcher-broken.exe:Please note that Windows on your computer may be configured to hide the file extension (.exe), so if you simply see “Launcher” rename it to “Launcher-broken”
- double-click Launcher-broken.exe to run it, and when you see the following script error panel, click Yes:
- the launcher will run and automatically attempt to fix the corrupted version:
- wait while the launcher runs. What the launcher program (Launcher-broken.exe) will do is download a new version of itself (Launcher.exe) that actually works:
- once the fixed version of Launcher.exe has been downloaded, you will see the following message box, and you want to click the circled “x” to close it:
- now click the Allods Online icon on your desktop, and you should see the following panel, which means your game installation is all good :)
I wasted enough of my time researching this problem and seeing other players stuck on it on the AO forums, so I hope this guide helps you. Thanks to the players who posted the rename fix – all I tried to do was make the process clearer for folks who are struggling with this.