In some games (e.g. World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online), your character automatically auto-attacks (AAs) in between uses of abilities. So even if you are spamming abilities, you still get AAs.
In Aion, your character AAs when you are not using an ability. It can be beneficial to “weave” AAs in between abilities, because doing so
- is efficient from an MP perspective. AAs don’t cost any MP
- can increase sustained DPS, esp when using a 2h weapon. See notes below
I’ve noticed that a lot of players across different classes have asked how to AA weave on the AionSource forums, so I created this video:
- if you allow an AA to complete its animation, you are more likely to have the 2nd and 3rd mini-strikes for the AA
- if you reduce or cut out the animation for an AA, you are less likely to have the AA mini-strikes. But you still get the main AA strike, which delivers the most damage
- there is a lot of debate as to whether AA weaving increases DPS; my impression is that AA weaving provides a DPS boost for melee classes using a quality 2h weapon, at least at lower levels when we have a limited number of abilities to work with.
- the video was of my Chanter at level 18. I used the following sequence of abilities: Meteor Strike -> AA -> Hallowed Strike -> AA -> Heaven’s Judgment -> AA -> Meteor Strike -> AA -> Hallowed Strike -> AA -> Booming Strike -> AA
- I did have the damage-proc buff Promise of Wind turned on, but I checked the combat log when making the video, and it didn’t proc. So the white damage was only from either an AA or ability
- I forgot to use something as a Chanter. Can you guess what it was?